power trim belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnInOrder, May 6, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

so i got a belt for my Power Trim model 200. My orignal belt was wear and stretched. So i mydeal gave me a new one, the only thing is that the one they gave me was a knotch belt and the one had on the edger was a regular one, no knotches. Now when i engauge the belt the machine shuts off, is there anyhting i need to adjust or is the belt to tight. Thanks Doug

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The belt should be loose when the blade arm is raised, Then when lowered the belt should tighten and the large spring on the shaft will apply the proper tension. If the belt is too tight it will drive all the time and stall like it's doing.
    Check the pic. below and make sure this is free moving.

Power trim edger.JPG

3. LawnInOrder

lol fiunny thing you hsould mention that piece Restrorob. Before when i was working on the machine that whole thing was stuck. The blade wouldn';t angle. It was so stuck i heated it and used penetraiting oil. I finally loosened everything up and lubed it up. Everything is lubbed and freed up. Now that i did that i got a new belt of and it is stalling. What else should i try Restrorob thanks LawnInOrder

4. Restrorob

Re-read my first post, Is the belt loose and dis-engaged with the blade arm up ?
    You may try the old belt again and see what happens since you got the tension shaft loosed up.

5. LawnInOrder

well i went outside this morning to check, and the belt is loose and engaged when the arm is up. I might try the old belt again if i have time. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks LawnInOrder

6. Restrorob

Are you having to push the engagement handle very hard to lower and engage the belt ? I assume the bearings in the blade shaft are ok, I'm wondering now if the carb. may need the adjustment opened a tad, Leaning out under load ?

7. LawnInOrder

i think you are right about the carb adjustment. When i engage the blade it kicks back , like it doesn't have enough power to run. Maybe the carb adjustment. And the bearinsg in the blade shaft are ok. Which way do i turn the jet to richen it up. Thanks LawnInOrder

8. Restrorob

Counter clockwise to richen, But only about 1/8 turn at a time.

9. LawnInOrder

i tried adjusting the carb Restrorob, but i looked at the pulley buy the blades not the pulley buy the engine and it gets stuck by the pulley by the blade. I think the dealer gave me the wrong belt. What do you think Restrorob. Thanks LawnInOrder

10. Restrorob

Well The Power Trim part # is 339 for the standard belt you had on there and there is a part # 339-1 for a heavy duty clogged belt, Crossing these belts over it should be a 4L-280 or 1/2" wide and 28" long. Just look at everything closely on the blade arm assembly and make sure nothing has shifted position.
    Are you speaking of where the belt goes around the blade shaft pulley it is hitting the belt cover ? I have a complete parts break-down but don't quite understand what you mean.