power trimm edger

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnInOrder, May 2, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

ok well i got a power trim edger fro $25 with a 2 hp. briggs. so it didn;t start. Me being a son of a master auto mechanic i am pretty good diagnosing problems when it comes to engines. So i cleaned the gas tank out, which had orange gas in it and dirt from sitting around for 5 years so the guy claims. It looks like it has been sitting around for longer. Anyways I cleaned out the carb and the fuel tank. The carb is directly mounted to the fuel tank, no line from the tank to the carb. So i started to pull start the engine. next thing i knew the start rope snapped. Just in luck i had some extra pull starter rope at home. So i took it apart and restrung the rope. anyone who works on the old briggs recoil starters know how cr*ppy it is to work on them. Needless to say i put everything back and it started up. The problem that i have is that the throttle linkages, or for that matter none of the linkages were attached, he gave them to me in a bag. So iput the linkages on the engine to best on my knowledge. It was missing a spring, i think and I custom fitted one. The problem is that it starts and runs but when i raise the throttle with the throttle lever the machine shuts off. i think it is due to the linkages i made. The motor is a 2hp briggs for a power trim, must be at least 10 years old. I was wondering if anyone had a pictures of how the linkages are supposed to be hook-up. Sorry for he long post but i needed to tell the story. Thanks in advance LawnInOrder

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Read the top item on the page. You will need model, type and code numbers to get a desirable response,

Dutch

3. LawnInOrder

thanks, let me go outside and see what numbers i can find

4. LawnInOrder

ok it is a 2hp briggs from a power trim model 200. The model number of the engine =60102 the type=0300 01 and the code = 74020701. It spins a 3600 rpm. that is all the numerbs on the machine. to give you an idea the enigne is painted red, which meas it is one of the older engines.

5. LawnInOrder

can anyone help me

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

7. LawnInOrder

Restrorob you are very insightful, my question is what do you think the problem is, or what i can check. i am not 100% my diagionsing was right. I want your opinoin thanks LawnInOrder

8. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

i know that on some engines that are running lean at idle, when you open the throttle they die because all of asudden there is a ton of air and the same amount of fuel and as a result is way too lean. try to richen the idle first by 1/8 turn incriments. if that helps then you should be able to get to full throttle. if not return the screw to the origional position and go back to the linkages. just my 0.02

9. LawnInOrder

i used the website and found the linkages and srpings. it doens;t sho exactly where they go it just shows them. How am i supposed to know where they go. LawnInOrder

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Got ya covered, The long linkage hooks to the air vain governor with the little loop closest to the blower housing with the other end to the throttle shaft on the carb., one end of the spring hooks to the little loop in the above rod the other end to the lever the throttle cable hooks to. Try adjusting the carb. as mentioned but close the adjuster all the way and open 1 turn as a starting point. Also make sure the cable has not been replaced and is working backwards so you are shutting the engine off instead of increasing speed. Adjust high speed rpm by bending the lever reference # 156 on the pic. (where the spring hooks) closer to the blower housing to lower rpm or closer to the throttle cable to raise rpm.

Sorry I got lost in your book up there..... lol