Power versus Front Mount Dethatcher

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Markf, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    I need advice regarding the purchase of power v. front mount dethatcher. We have 2 60" ZTR's and we are in the process of quoting dethatching jobs. The question is since we already have the ZTR's should we stick to the front mount or spring for a power dethatcher? I am aware that the number of tines on the power unit are more plentiful, but since the other unit can be fitted onto a ZTR, we thought the job would go quicker, giving similar results. Most of the lawns are between 15k and 30k square feet.

Please, I do not wish to turn this into a thread similar to the bickering that is taking place on the Dethatch Price thread. I only need honest opinions.
    Thanks.
    Mark

2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the spring tine rake from JRCO and I think it does a great job. Been using one for the past 6 years.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thatch is living grass runners and a spring loaded pusher will not cut it out. A verticutter is required to remove thatch. At least thats the way it is in Florida. The Ryan Matawayr is just perfect for residential dethatching.

http://www.jacobsen.com/product.asp?MID=3&FID=26&PID=38

Oldtimer

4. GreenerSideLC

GreenerSideLC LawnSite Member

I recently bought a JRCO 60" tine rake for my exmark. I love it. Works great at lifting matted leaves and springing the lawn back into shape. I include the raking with my spring clean-up, I figure I would be going over the lawn with the bagger anyways. As far as power rake. I'll rent one if the lawn is really bad but in most cases a couple passes with the JRCO is enough.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,..there really is no comparison, since you're comparing apples to oranges, here. Two different machines, two entirely different uses. Actual dethatching is not that common of a procedure, so if you are asking if you should purchase one or the other, get the tine rake first. you will get MUCH more use out of it.

6. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

That is a great question, I would like to hear some input on people who have used both, Is the tine rake refering to what you can mount on the Exmark?

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. We will purchase a JRCO tine rake. Any other suggestions as to a comparable quality product for the front mount?

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

how much is the JRCO rake?

9. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

The rake runs about 500, depending on size you get

10. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

where can you buy jrco brand?