Power Washer on Dandelions

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Ray&Christine, May 31, 2009.

1. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

This is what I read about air compressor:

"Pneumatic weed control
    An implement has been developed that injects compressed air into the soil to loosen
    and uproot small weeds on either side of the crop row (Vale, 1998). It has been used
    successfully in carrot, maize and sugar beet. These machines works best in dry soils.
    In a German prototype, air supplied to the hoe blade leg is blasted out through holes
    the sides of the hoe blade (Vale, 2003). An operating depth of 15 mm and speed of 5-
    6 km/hr are suggested."

3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

The power washer is news to me, maybe on overgrown pavers and walkways and driveways. Ive seen people using pneumatics for trees and topsoil removal, it was fast but messy and of course you had to take care of the cleanup bill. Seems excessive for a few weeds.

Instead of wasting thousands of $$$ on time and equipment I just go with a shovel and a bucket. If they are really bad and the customer doesnt want to spend the money I will recommend synthetic broadleaf control applied by a licensed professional.

I dont know, maybe there is a new science to it that works. I would like to see it if there is.

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i almost have heard every thing now? air spading dandies... love to see it in practice

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. Our tree division air spades and I wouldn't think this would be practical at all to eliminate some dandelions. If dandy's are the issue, spend 120 bucks on a pail of the Green Guardian. It works well on those.

6. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Green Guardian is not a Registered Pesticide product for us in Ontario. That is if you are saying you are using it for weed control.

7. Grohorganic

Grohorganic LawnSite Member

treegal and I used the garden weasel on them and it worked, as long as your drill did not die................

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A gardening show last nite claimed that store bought white vinegar, does kill the entire root.
    Keeping the stuff on the dandy leaves only isn't that difficult, as long a you have a sprayer with a little more finesse than a power washer. :)

9. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

No it doesnt, usally that is. I have used grocery store white vinegar hundreds of times. Only under certain circumstances does store bought vinegar actually work. Like if its over 90deg out and it isnt going to rain any time soon. If you leave the bottle of vinegar out in the sun for a couple weeks it seems like it makes it more potent, which helps too.

Generally tough stuff doesnt seem to be effected like grass, dandelions, or thistle. It will yellow and look like it is on its way out but a couple weeks later it will look like nothing ever happened.

Im not saying dont try it because it will work, especially on things like wood sorrel and moss. And it is probably not a good idea to run around spraying it on your golf course or hostas for fun because you never know when it will decide to work really well.

10. Organic Guy

Organic Guy LawnSite Member

mow higher