1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I've recently started drinking Powerade and I really like it. I remember one of you guys mentioning that gatorade or something is not good to drink while mowing, etc.? What was that about and what about powerade? Is a better drink to drink while working? What do you guys drink? Let's talk!
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

VIBE RAY--in my opinion the sports drinks are important. my routine includes water only untill I feel the need for a pick me up. this is usually about mid afternoon and then I stop for a gator or power aid. I stay away from the blue stuff though! YUCK!

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what's in it but it always tears my tummy up! I haven't drank any Gator or Power Ade this year, Coke and water only.
  4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

It works pretty much like this...

Water is BEST!

People will tell you it is bad for you to drink the Sports Drinks because they can alter the electrolyte balance in the body. It is OK to drink Sports Drinks provided you do it in moderation. KEY WORD: MODERATION!

Having said that, I will tell you this. I drink water almost the entire day. Around the half way point and at the end of the day I will have a Sports Drink. If it is excessively hot and I am sweating faster than I am able to drink, I increase the amount of sports drink I consume.

I like the Grape flavors but they are not the fastest absorbed. The clear/translucent drinks are best because the body can break them down faster and get them into your system.

Whatever you do... DRINK!

I hope this was helpful.
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Soda is the worst. Stay away from high sugar. I think Powerade is great for you. I drink it after hockey and it makes you feel better I think.
  6. script

script LawnSite Member

everybody has their own opinion and here is mine:

I have always been involved in sports and hard work and have always drank gatorade to help replenish the electrolytes that your body is using up by sweating. Medical research shows that the body must replenish electrolytes, and with excessive sweating they are lost. Excessive amounts of electrolytes is hard to achieve if you're sweating and merely drinking sports drinks. Concerns should be taken if oral supplements are being taken. Anything you don't sweat out will be excreted through urination and will not harm you, and although water is a form of hydration, it DOES NOT replenish electrolytes lost. I have a 5 gallon cooler for water and a 3 gallon cooler for gatorade and I go through at least 3 gallons of gatorade a day. Just like in Homer's case, if it bothers your stomach don't drink it. But I wouldn't have made it through the heat of last summer if not for my gatorade.

And like Mark said Drink, Drink, Drink.

7. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I have never drank Powerade before. I always drink Gatorade. I hate water, and drink way too many coke when I get home. The only thing about Gatorade is that all my shirts turn white by the end of the day. I guess it is from the salt or something in the gatorade.
  8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'll drink some gateraid BUT I have found somthing better.
    It is called EMERGIN "C" it is a vitimin supliment sold at health food stores, I was turned on to it by a marithon runner it works relly well.

9. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

For you guys that drink Gatorade, how do you usually buy it? Pre-mixed or in concentrate? If you buy concentrate, do you prefer the powder or the liquid?

I see that Grainger carries both the liquid and powdered concentrate.

10. Nick

Nick Banned

Sports drinks are the worst thing you could put in your body. They raise your insulin as fast or faster then candy. This insulin spike will make you tired and lite headed. Their main ingredient is sugar which is fructose. Not only will this insulin spike effect your performance, the sugar not burned by your body will end up stored as fat. Contrary to what most think the american diet is backwards and one should be consuming high protien, low carbohydrates, and moderate fat for constant energy. A good pick me up during the day would be a protien drink and water. If your not pissing clear you are simply not consuming enough water.