Powerbrooms vs. blowers....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 4, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There was some recent praise of powerbrooms here and it got me thinking.

Where would you use one that you wouldn't just be able to use a blower?

They're not cheap, and I'm not seeing the advantage. What am I missing?

2. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I just picked up my power broom Wednesday after reading the praises here for their ability to clean up gravel and stones left in the grass from plowing - I was a little skeptical before i got it - but now i am a firm believer & supporter. Those things clear gravel out of a lawn like a backpack blower clears leaves out of a garden. I still can't believe how well they work.

Shayne

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

depends which model you get. around here... some guys will use the big walkbehind brooms on the whole lawn. this is great for getting acorns... matted leaves... and dethatching the lawn at once. i have the split shaft trimmer with the powerbroom. i use it along the strip of grass by the road to get sand and gravel off the lawn, and to kick any sand off the driveway and away from the entrance. absolutely dont know how i could do cleanups without it

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Power brooms are also great for removing the sand left on the lawn from the city.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Powerbroom will clean up great after a tree service that only rakes. Will remove most of sawdust, wood chips and small twigs. Does a good job on light 1-2" of wet snow, the kind that you can't even keep on a shovel or run thru a snowblower. Can be used as a power squeegee in removing water from a large flat area.

The day I got mine years ago (got it mainly for snow), our leaf pickup was coming that day. We had had a freezing snow the night before, and everything was still frozen. Swept my front lawn to the curb, and power broom cleaned out frozen in leaves, twigs, and ice - and only a few blades of grass in the pile.

Just need to learn the application. Usually any dense materials - gravel, dirt, wood chips, etc. - will be moved a lot quicker with a power broom, the paddle type. Seems the bristle type head might do more lawn damage than the paddle. Mine is with me all the time for spring cleanups.

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Is a power broom a useful alternative in raking up grass during a spring clean up? It obviously won't dethatching but does it work better than a rake or thatcher attachments mowers have?

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Personally I would think it too heavy and small to "rake" an entire lawn with a pbroom. Maybe a really small lawn.

Also, the pbrooms make less of a mess when pushing sand, as opposed to blowing it.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I recently bought the power broom for my split-boom Shindaiwa.

I love it. It's good for all the things mentioned above. Best way to get driveway stone off a lawn that I've ever seen. Good for acorns in the lawn and sand on pavement too.

Too small and tiring to dethatch a lawn unless it's tiny, but it does dethatch well.