powered stick edger/ old fashioned stick edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriffn, Mar 2, 2002.

1. agriffn

agriffn LawnSite Member

is it a waste of money to spend 300 bucks on a stick edger when i can buy a old fashioned stick edger and just use alittle bit of muscle to move it?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what you mean by old fashioned, but the New Stihl Stick Edger FC85 is awesome. For me, it was definately worth the money. It edges as fast as I can walk.

3. He means the old one they used in the 50's.

A handle with a wheel and a star shaped cutting blade you pushed that cut the edges.

Weed eater with the string turn to 90 degrees to the ground works much better and faster.

4. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

shindaiwa le260 works wonders for me
    takes no time at all for us and it will make you 300 so fast

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to also think it was a waste to spend money on a stick edger, until I bought one. I feel it's one of my most important tools now. As far as an old manual one, why would you want to work that hard? Invest in a good stick edger, you won't be sorry. Good luck.

6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

The best $300 you'll spend...the old fashioned edger gets clogged all the time making the wheel and cutting blades not turn...I think they're around $15 and operate on that level too...I graduated from a walk-behind edger to a stick-edger when they first came out, and I work circles around the guys who still use the them and the guys who use trimmers for edging....

7. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I agree 100%

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Yup, gots me a nice husquvarna stick edger few weeks back and fell in love with it. said good by to the old (large) gas edger. Stick edger much faster to work with and good on the back too.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Well, all I can say is the manual edger does work; and I do mean WORK!
    I would have one anyway beause they are so cheap (and I do). Don't try to start a propery using this or you'll be there all day long. Hey, it's the reason I have a stick edger! Maybe sometime if your customer is there watching you, you could pull it out and pretend like you're realy sweatin' cuz there's nothing customers like more than to see someone workin' their butts off. It kinda justifies in their minds your service.

10. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I have a manual edger, If you pay the postage I'll send it to you! Ha! Buy a stick edger (Echo or Stihl) and I'm sure you'll be a lot happier in the long run.