1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Powered walk behind fert spreader???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sedge, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys, any one of you know who makes a powered walk behind fert/sprayer spreader? I am thinking that this would be a good option instead of going with a full blown ride on, as we really don't have a budget for one.

I checked Lesco's website, but as usual, it blows........
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I know Z-Spray has one and it looks pretty nice.

I bet by the time you see what one costs...you could just spend a little xtra and get a ride on!

The sulky is probably the cheapest part of the machine! Might as well get a ride on! Plus I bet the liquid and dry capacity on the walk behinds aren't as high.
  3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember correctly, the walk-behind spreader/sprayer Z-Spray sells isn't that much less in price than the riders. At least they're not cheap enough to warrant walking behind them all day. :walking:
  4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I agree! I'm not a real Z-spray fan any ways, but i have no experince with them. the machines just seem to be, hmmmm, i dunno, just to odd and complicated looking. I like the look of the PG much better, but don't have any experince with them either.
  5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I am 100% certain that if you were to demo a z-spray you would change your tune!
    I have been running the z-maz for a long while now and get imagine life with out it!

BTW, I also have a PG. It never leaves the barn anymore.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I will give you the other side of the story!:laugh:

I have a PG Magnum and it is awesome!

I PERSONALLY have never ran a Z-Spray but it looks very akward to me also and I like the PG because it is a little more compacted (not so bulky) and doesn't have a boom.

With the said....I know I would probably love the Z if I had one, I just don't see the added value for the additional cost as there is like $1,500-2000 difference in price. Both machines do a great job of spraying and spreading, so why pay more?

Overall the PG does an excellent job!

Pilgrim's Pride,

What style of PG do you have?

If it isn't a Magnum you probably shouldn't compare the two machines.

I often see guys on here bashing PG's but they are not the current model so how can you compare 8-10 year old machine to one that is only a couple years old! Both I know both of them have their goods and bads...but I will never say one is better then the other when comparing the Z to the PG Mag.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

An old friend in the business told me about this. Years ago Permagreen manufactured the Commando or maybe Kommando. A kit where you attach the 2 cycle motor and wheel to the back of your spreader. Then they got smart and added a sulky--a new idea was born. They added a spray tank and a Robin engine and the rest is history. Did anybody use one of these? Got pictures?
  8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The cost difference versus a ride-on is substantial. I have a walk behind Zpsray for sale - it has about 50 hours on it and I'm asking $2300. PM me if you want additional info. The walk behind unit has its place on smaller to medium lawns. I have to sell mine as my franchise doesn't allow this type of equipment.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What is the walk behind unit new?

Since I am lazy....what it the dry and liquid capacity on a unit like that? How does it do on hills?

10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Sedge, another option to consider...
    Lesco sells a motorized walk-behind spreader cost around $1800
    Then Permagreen sells a small tank that can be attached to the spreader. The 2 gallon set up that runs on a 12V battery cost around $400 (you'll get around 14,000sf coverage from 2 gallons)

So for about $2200 you'll have a motorized spreader that will maintain consistent ground speed all day long, you wont have to push it and wear yourself out, you'll get some exercise walking behind it and you'll be able to spray weeds just like Permagreen's RideOn machine but spend much less $$$$