Powerstroke Diesel Owners welcome..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Jun 28, 2007.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been looking at a couple 7.3's and have some questions. What type of life can you get out of a motor? I'm looking at one with 210,000. Is this too many miles?

2. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

The 7.3 Powerstroke is a great engine, but 200,000 miles is a lot of miles. If the price was right, maybe.

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

With the newer diesels it's not so much the miles on the motor, as the rest of the truck. Tranny, rear end, front suspension, electronics, etc etc. A 7.3 will probably run for 300k, but will there be a truck left for it to move that far?

4. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

It depends on how well it was maintained. I sold my 99 that had 316000 miles and I still see it pulling around a 3 axle trailer and plowing snow in the winter. The 7.3 is a great motor but check the maintenance records.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 95 7.3 with 190,000 on it and runs just like new. My father in-law has a 96 with over 200,000 and runs the same. It all depends on maintenance. I would say if it has been taken care of it will last you a long time. JMO

6. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 24ft flatbed truck with that motor, sold it with 305k miles on it...was still running great.

7. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cummins are bullet-proof, 7.3's arent too far behind but that is alot of miles. You have to look at the whole truck and its condition, not just the motor. Remember everything has 210,000 miles on it!:)

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I Would Skip It Unless Its Real Cheep

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are nuts to buy a truck with 200,000 miles or more the truck is worn out. It will nickle and dime you to death. The benefit you guys in the States is autoparts are dirt cheap.

10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the truck is a 02 f-250 XLT 4x4 red clean truck with 210,000 for $10,500. Is this a good deal?