powerstroke fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by draftlawncare, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My friend gets 15 pulling a 16 foot trailer with a ZTR and misc. oher tools with his 7.3 powerstroke.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was not answering your question on mileage, I was commenting on the other guy's post's.

Pardon me for hijacking your thread but I'm a little tired of all the bickering over brands on this site.

Buy what you like, can afford and have a dealer close by for.

MOST brand names are 6 of one, half dozen of another.

What's the best mower, blade, edger, truck, trailer, blower????

The one that is in your hand and happens to be working at this moment, that's which one.

I need a vacation..........

3. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

My 02 Dodge cummins with a 4.10 rear averages 14mpg when empty.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My 02 powerstroker, 3:73, empty gets about 19 mpg, as where my 95 dually. with 4:10 gears, empty 15 mpg
    I have a very heavy foot though, especially on the 02, programed and no muffler on it, like to hear it.

5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have driven a F350 SRW 7.3 PS with a 78 horsepower chip
    from Diablosport.com

You can notice the difference within 50 ft of accelerating from a stop. The shifts are so much firmer, generally get 2 to 4 mpg increase. The thing that surprised myself and two passangers was when I was coasting at 20mph and floored it, the rear wheels broke loose and smoked the hell out of the tires.

When I am able to buy a 7.3 PS later this summer or fall the first thing that I plan to do is put the chip in it. Man is it a heck of a difference even in just everyday driving.

Just be advised that if you do put a chip in it that any dealer that you take that truck into for a driveability issue can void your
    power train warranty rite there on the spot. I have seen it done to a couple of mustangs and Lightnings at the dealership that I used to work for in service. It is all a judgement call on the management though.

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

My new 03 6 liter sucks gas like a Hoover. However, if you need to pull it, push it, yank it or anything else. It's as good as it gets.

Tim

7. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

thanks gilla thats the kinda of info i was after i still would like some real #s on fuel mileage on the powerstrokes with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears

8. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

thanks everybody for the info i think i might get this truck its just a little underpowered i had a chip in a 5.0 stang before and it was a waste of money i didnt want to buy 1 for the powerstroke and have the same results

9. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

Doesn't sound like that's true if the Ford only gets 11-13 mpg. I know people with both the Cummins and Duramax, they both get 20+ on the highway in 1 ton 4x4's.

I've only driven one vehicle with the Powerstroke and that was an Excursion. It was just about the slowest thing I've ever driven. It had the acceleration of a 25' U-Haul. Way slower than the Dodge or Chevy I've driven.

To bad the Super Duty has the best looks among the big three. :)

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what pisses the Ford people off. Chevy and Dodge will both get better mileage than the Ford and both offer better performance. Simple fact, not opinion. And before anyone goes quoting spec sheets I do not drive or work spec sheets. I work in the real world. Test drive all three then decide which is better for you.