Powerstroke no longer King, sorry guys.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

I know that this will stir up a hornets nest, but being the Redneck Republican that I am, I must do my constitutional duty and tell my point of view on something, since my point of view is always correct! (Another nest, another day, lol) I have always thought that the Ford Powerstroke was the most incredible thing on the market for heavy duty pickup truck using guys, hereby referred to as "True Rednecks." BUT, yesterday I test drove one of the new Chevy DURAMAX powered trucks. I was absolutley awestricken by the abundance of power, seems like leaps and bounds over the powerstroke. I have never driven a pickup w/ so much power. Even back during the days when 454's had headers and real carburetors with 4bbl. Hopefully it will continue to deliver that power even after 200,000 miles or so, and still stay together. So, during during your holiday time off, grab the old lady, get a bag of popcorn, and head to your nearest Chevy/GMC dealer and tell them that "Mowin4cash sent ya", and that you want to experience the MONSTER WITHIN!!!!!!!!!

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What was the price of the truck? Are you going to buy it?

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine jusy bought one wednesday,Ill get to take it ou this week ,ill give my report then.Its a 2001 2500 Duramax/Allison auto,4x4,LT,snow plow prep,Excab ,tow pkg,etccc.it stickered for 40300,got it for 38000.he had a 97 PSD auto, F250 ,that he is now using as a work only truck.He says the Duramax will flat out spank the F250,and when he got back into the Ford the next day,he thought something was wrong with it.He says it is a lot quicker than it feels,dont trealize how quick until he got back into the Ford and it felt real slow.He had always thought the Ford ran well up to then.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

They be proud of dem thangs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I thought 30 was high!

Homer

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently you have never had the priveledge of operating a Cummins-powered pickup under full load. It will put the powersmoke to shame.

40k for a 3/4 ton pickup? It better wipe my a$$ as well ;)

6. John DiMartino

Bill I was thinking the same thing-I never knew the powerstroke was King?Stupid me always thought the Cummins was-oh well.I know that from 83-88 the Ford /international 6.9/7.3 was the king,but in 1989 when Dodge shoehorned the Industrial strenth B-series in the pickup,nothing has touched it since.If you dont believe me-look at the engines in Fords own F650/750.The 5.9 is the STD engine,with 3126 Cat as option.B series Cummins is rated to 66000GCWR,higher than any in a pickup.It is a true MD truck engine with a Forged crank and direct injection.I know that certain yr Cummins are slower than the newer powerstrokes,but I dont assoiciate empty speed with being the best truck engine.Durabilty,economy,ease of maintance,aceesabilty to engine parts,they arent buried under the turbo ,like a PSD. and pulling power are the reasons I chose the Cummins.The powerstroke is a Fine engine,but it is a bit more finiky than the Cummins,and is a horsepower engine more so than a torque engine,like the Cummins.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 12-10-2000 at 08:08 PM]

7. I will stick with a 350 fi in a NPR with a 14 rack body for $20 and will have $20 to spend on gasoline.

I figure the NPR will average 12 mph with my light load (less than 2k). I can buy 13,000 gallons for $20k so that would be around 150,000 miles.

This proves gas jobs are cheaper to run.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Lol, LOL, ROTF LMAO!!!

My friend, you have a bad case of 4.3 on the brain. Try 8-9 mpg on a good day.

On the powersmoke discussion, consider that the PS is a direct descendant of the 6.9, which was created from a gas engine International was developing in the early 70s, before the embargo killed the market for MD gas engines. So, pull a GM 350 olds gas/diesel conversion trick, and today you have your 7.3 PS.

9. John DiMartino

That is true Bill,but in all fairnessthe 7.3 isnt a bad engine,like the GM 5.7 olds/diesel was,no comparison there.But then again its not in the same league as the Cummins.Cummins is the strongest no question about it.The rod in a Cummins is more than twice the size of the PSD.The 370HP version of the 5.9 in a Marine application,one of the toughest loads there is is proof of what this engine can take.It is found in Boats,Case loaders,and backhoes,diesel gensets,chippers,small tub grinders,air compressors,buldozers,as well as big commercial mowers,tractors,RV's, buses,fire trucks,and MD trucks.The 5.9 and the DT466 international are the most popular engines in yard jockey trucks at all the terminals across America.The powerstroke is found only in light duty trucks,and marine applications to 330HP.

10. Bill at 10mpg thats 130,000 miles at 20K worth of fuel.
    So at 8000 miles per year that would be fuel for 16 years or the life of the truck.