Powerstroke vs. Cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FearThisDeere, Apr 24, 2007.

?

Cummins vs. Powerstroke

1. Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab 4x4 Powerstroke

41 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Carb 4x4 Cummins

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm personall a Ford guy, but I have found a Cummins Dodge that I am in love with. No baching, but whick would you go with? I'm having a hard time finding a Ford in my price range, and this Dodghe is right where I want to be. I like Ford's tow command and mirrors a lot better, but this Dodge may sway me.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Dad had an 01 dodge with cummins diesel. He had it for 3 years and traded it for a 04 power stroke with 6.0. He seems to like the 04 more than the dodge. For the most part we are a Ford Family. Three of my brothers have power strokes and my brother has a Dodge and I have a Chevrolet and a Ford.

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The cummins is a better engine. This is not just MHO do some research, and you will see this for yourself. You also want to stay away from the ford 6.0 they have had lots of problems with them.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Half right.

The Cummins is a better engine when comes to reliability and reputation.

Yes, the 6.0L's the first two years ('03 and '04) had more than their share of problems. But years '05, '06, and '07 were excellent. :)

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I love how every bashes the 6.0 I havent had a single problem with mine. I know about a dozen other guys with them an none of them have had any problems.

6. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I run Powerstrokes, and have drove Cummins powered trucks at the place I used to work. What it basically boils down to if you're looking at a new(er) truck, pick the body you like in your price range and go for it. Our experiences have been that the Cummins is a more trouble free engine, the Ford is the more trouble free truck. For what it's worth, I spend a lot of time on the family farm out in western kansas. You see a lot of Powerstrokes and old chevy gassers, both on the farms and in the oil fields, you don't see a whole lot of dodges, gas or diesel, other than the ones on the interstate pulling campers. The truck itself simply doesn't hold up to the day in day out abuse of that environment. If I ever got a really good deal on a cummins powered dodge 1 ton dually 4x4, I might buy, but I've been happy with my 7.3's and know a lot of people who are really happy with their 6.0's. Good luck, it's a tough choice.

7. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I agree, I have an 01 7.3, but most of the other lco's run f450's with the 6.0's and have had no trouble with the later years....good luck with your decision.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Dad with his 04 6.0 hasn't said much. I drove it a couple of times, I liked it for power. He live 200 miles from me so I don't see it every day.

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the opinions. I would be looking at a new truck ('05 to '07). I like Ford much better than Dodge, but I am just having a hard time finding a good one in my price range. I found a Dodge I really like, but still think I might hold out for another Ford.

10. sclk0907

sclk0907 LawnSite Member

My brother recently blew the head gasket on his 06 powerstroke hauling hay. He traded it in for a duramax. He loves the duramax. But I think the cummins would be better if it is in your price range