1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Mar 11, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

OK for you guys who have the 7.3 power stroke, How long do they last? Cause I found one real nice but has 275,000 miles on. How long do you think things will start going wrong with it? I have been looking at trucks for a month or so to replace my gas hog 351, and I found a nice power stroke in a good price range.

OK the truck is:

2000 ford 250 SC SB 4x4 xlt power stoke auto- $13,000

Below is a picture of the truck I listed for help above.

2. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Truck looks nice, check out the value on www.kbb.com.......my dad has a 95 f250 with the 7.3 powerstroke, loves it, great truck, he has over 350,000 miles on it with very few problems. But buying a truck with that many miles is kinda scary. Anytime my dad puts his in the shop its at least a grand..........id look for one with mileage under 150k if you can find one.
  3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

275,000 miles for 13k? No thank you. Keep looking.:waving:
  4. qualitylawnmanagement

How much do you think I should talk them down to? My trade in is $4500.00.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well kbb is $14,225 but I would pass on a truck with 275,000 miles...
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I buy 1995 - 2000 Powerstroke Ford pickups that have over 225000 when I get them. I have had 12 of them, all from the sdame fleet. Some I have run up to 280,000, before selling, and they were still running strong. The key question, is what kind of maintenance has that truck had? All my trucks come from a fleet, and I get complete maintenance records with them.
    If well maintained, that truck could easily go 500,000 miles. Have a good diesel mechanic inspect it.
    As to value. I pay between $5000 and $6000 for my trucks. They are only XL trim work trucks though. Mine do come with complete service records, are in perfect mechanical condition, and body and interior, while showing wear, are very nice. I would not pay over $9500.00 - $10,000 for the truck you are looking at.
  7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the truck has been maintained well, so it's probably got some more miles in it. But I'd be leery of it - repairs can get expensive. Some things I've had experience with include a fuel pump, glow plugs & relay, injectors, some (not as common) problems with turbos, coolant leak which I'm not sure how common, but mine had it and I know of at least a couple others that did also. Although many people just like Ford better, I'd be much less scared of a Dodge/Cummins with that many miles on it. All that having been said, it looks like it's in pretty good shape, but I would certainly look for a much lower price. While KBB has some good information, I've found it to be reliably overpriced. Check edmunds.com instead. It seems to be much more realistic.
  8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

that truck is in really good shape!!! but I'm pretty sure i still wouldn't buy anything with that amount of miles..
  9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well mine is a 99 f250 4x4 and has around 116,000. also has the powerstroke and in good shape. i would probably sell it for around 19,000 if that helps you out as far as what they are worth
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

What type of mpg would I get with this powersroke? My 5.8 (351) gets between 5 and 6. Also how big of improvement would the edge power turner get me on mpg? I might go look at it this week, If it's not something I want then I'll get shopping then. Any imput would be helpful.