Ppe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, May 2, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

Hi guys it me again this time i wish to speak about Personal Protective Equipment PPE for short. I lived and was educated in the UK were i went to collage for my master in this field and have noticed as soon as i got back to the states and saw the gardeners. I almost had a heart attack because the did not have any PPE what so ever NO ear muffs NO eye protectors No jeans No steel toe caps No gloves No Gard on there machines(NEVER TAKE THE GARD OFF unless repairs are required) and NO brain. I am sorry but to those who do not wear proper protection you are brainless and should be put away far away not only are you endangering yourself and others but it is also against the law ALWAYS wear it while working! The stuff i listed up there is just basic PPE and there are many others you should wear depending on your job.

PS its not cool to look like a **** chucking ape by not wearing PPE!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

why not just make one big thread for all of these.....

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear hearing protection, sunglasses, shorts, T Shirt and tennis shoes. No way am I wearing heavy hot steel tipped boots and long pants in the summer and the first thing we do when we buy a new mower is chuck the discharge shoot never to be seen again.

4. Bennett scape

OK that's good but I know many guys who have had amputated limbs broken bones and chop off feet all who were in this industry in fact when i was in school a guy was using a chainsaw without chainsaw pants on and guess what he cut his leg while looking in a different direction. Also STEEL toe cap boots should be warn at all times one person i worked with did not wear them one day because he said they were to hot and not worth it. He was using a trimmer next to me because we were brush clearing and had steel blades on the machines and as he was trimming the trimmer slip out of his hand and cut off three toes.
    i could go on and on about the people i know who have been severely injured by not wearing PPE one guy i know was even killed in a tractor accident bye not observing proper ppe and procedures while working with the tractor implement ( he got sucked into the PTO)

PS it is not my fault that i have savear learning disabilities but i have worked HARD all my life to prove people that i am just as good as they can be

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

6. Bennett scape

how do you list your stuff on the bottom of the page and at least it was against the law in England

7. Raven386

from CT

go to your "User CP" and then "Edit Signature"

8. Raven386

from CT

I know we all need "PPE"... but maybe you are just bad luck, you seem to have seen a few accidents in your days. Or maybe your just working with inexperienced,careless people using the wrong equipment.

9. Bennett scape

maybe your are right I have seen a lot of accidents in this industry and could be biased when it comes to PPE. I just think every one should wear them maybe after a few of my friends were severely injured by not wearing PPE you will feel different.

10. Bennett scape

It may not be against the law in some states but in some it is. Also if you get hurt while not wearing PPE it is a good bet your insurance will NOT pay for any damages to you or others, that is assumng you have business insurance. If you don't you need it, it is cheap, I have 2 mil for less than 900 a year.