PPSCU,SCU,STU coated urea

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

uhs sells stu and scu.
    lesco sells ppscu coated ureas
    is there that much difference in the coatings?
    ant

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what STU is. PCSU (poly coated sulfur urea) will release over a longer period than SCU (sulfur coated urea). With SCU there is a risk of fertilizer burn under hot dry conditions. The sulfur coating can be broken by foot or vehicular traffic, basically turning that SCU prill into a fast release urea prill. I would go with the poly coated to try and flatten out the growth curve.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

STU
    Long lasting
    No Growth Flush
    Melts into turf fast
    Quick green up
    What is STU?

STU is a proprietary formulation specially blended for Turfgrass applications. It is sequentially timed Nitrogen Fertilizer that combines two types of nitrogen –Urea and Dicyndiamide (DCD) Nitrogen. The chemical make-up of STU was designed to sequentially time conversion of ammonium to nitrate, thereby minimizing nitrate to be exposed to loss due to denitrification, volatilization or leaching. As a result, more of the Nitrogen you’re paying for is available to help maintain healthy turfgrass!

How Does It Work?

STU stays in the soil by attaching its positively charged ions to the negatively charged soil for up to 15 weeks. The DCD component of STU works with the Nitrosonoma and Nitrococcus Bacteria and does nothing to interfere with any of the beneficial Microbes.

I Have Some Questions
    What does STU stand for? Stabilized Turf Urea

Since STU is more efficient, could a reduced nitrogen rate be recommended? Technically, yes.

STU is better for your turf, your budget, and your environment.

STU contains 46% actual nitrogen. Because of its makeup, a higher percentage of that nitrogen is in the stable ammonium form so less nirate is exposed to loss due to denitrification, volatilization, leaching. As a result, more of the nitrogen you’re paying for is available to the grass. Thus, depending on your soil and weather conditions, STU can mean fewer applications –with resulting savings.

Why Choose STU?
    *Contains 46% Nitrogen *More N per lb. Of Material *Less Volitization

*Less Leaching *Excellent Physical Form *Dry or Liquid Application

Nitrogen is one of the most important nutrients in determining turf quality. It’s also the most difficult to manage. In any given year, as much as 50% or more of the applied nitrogen can be lost to volatilizaiton, denitrification or leaching.

To you those potential losses can mean:

Reduced turf quality
    Higher cost for extra nitrogen applications, fuel, etc.
    Additional time on the turf.
    That means time and money wasted.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Ant

That sounds similar to Lesco's NOVEX. Which in a condensed description, releases as microbial activity increases. Microbial activity increases as turf grows. Thus, the fertilizer releases as the turf needs it. Due to this you can put down 2-3 lbs of N per app and not have any problems b/c of the way it releases itself.

It is not affected by rain, although say a combo fert with pre-emergent would be less effective due to the cold temps. Cold temps equal to less turf growth and less microbial activity.

I have looked into the Novex but it was too pricey to justify.

There is a Poly-Vex. Which is supposed to incorporate the best of PPscu and Novex but I know of nobody that has used it.

I think these products were designed for the Golf guys and it does not have its appeal in the residential market.

I don't know how the STU you are talking about is priced, but if it is comparable to the PPSCU products then I would definately consider it. Doing 2 or 3 fert apps per year and getting the same results is tremendous. Do spot sprays in between to satisfy the customer need to see you.

Don't know if this helps with your decision. I would try it on a few lawns to see. I never try something new on everything.

5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

That description of STU is more closely tied to uflexx -- not Novex. Novex is Lescos's name for UF. STU lookslike it isi a brand name for Uflexx. Uflexx is a decentproduct -- better than SCU od PPSU -- but not int he same league as UF.

STU is not a coating. It is made by chemically changing the urea by attaching nitrification-inhibiting molecules.

Uflexx tends to be resonably processed --so I imagine this would too.

BTW Turfhokie -- I use a UF based fertilizer as my priamry fertilizer. So -- it can be built into a residential application program

6. fertit

fertit LawnSite Member
    from 97034

This product described is either UMAXX or UFLEXX- not in the same league as UF (Nitroform) or MU (Nutralene), but- they do make a decent product when it doesn't rain or get irrigated shortly (24 hours) of an application. If it does, you just applied straight urea. For the money- go with SCU or MU in the questionable weather months and when it's dry- it's OK to try a stabilized N product- just make sure the customer doesn't water. Some like it- some don't. :confused:

7. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Please explain how stablized N is a microbial degrader? One of my favorite products is an organic/uflexx mix

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so which is better but still cost effective

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

IN my area, UF and MU are just flat out more expensive to purchase than your basic SCU.

The bottom line is that when companies are billing per applicaton X times per year, they generally will apply the most cost effective product each round.

Some choose to feature UF products to differentiate themselves from the crowd. That is great if you can charge accordingly and not be killed on price by your competitors. It is a matter of selling the benefits of your program.

When using UF and MU, you can certainly apply the necessary supply of N in fewer visits and save labor. In a pricing model where a customer pays a flat yearly fee without a set number of visits, this could be more profitable. I personally would like to be in that model at some point, but customers seem to have been conditioned to the X visit per year and billed by the application.

Lesco apparently has not been very successful in marketing the Novex line, because most stores I visit rarely carry it at all. You can understand a sports field manager or golf course using it, but the LCO model is all about the visits.