Practical differences between a cat cr vs ccr

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mxridernorth, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Alright know-it-alls, please enlighten me on the difference I would experience between operating a 2006 cat 304 or 305 cr vs the same in a ccr? I've got to move up the food chain a tad from the 27U in order to move hemispherical septic tank shells that weigh about 2500lbs. The spider doesn't work so great for carrying and moving at the same time :|

On a side note: the Takeuchi TL130 that I bugged you about for opinions, morphed into a TL140 (ad said TL130 but when I got there I thought, crap that TL130 is a large machine - until I noticed the TL140 sticker (it was night time)) . Got it for $9K! It's been great so far aside from one chaffed drive motor hose that I had to replace. A wee bit small for the dump trailer don't ya think?
    IMGP0765.JPG

IMGP0765.JPG

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

That TK looks sweet for $9,000. You need a TK TB153 instead of a Cat? :)

3. mxridernorth

Baby steps :) Also looking at TB135 and TB145s but am also curious about the cats as there are a few around for decent prices. A 9000 pound machine would be perfect as I still do a lot of small and large residential work.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The CR machines are not good. The CCR machines have more breakout and stick force. The 304 CCR specs about the same as the 305CR. I demoed a 305 CR for a couple days and I hated it.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

The CR machines flat out suck..

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have never heard much good about a nonCCR CAT mini ex. You will pay more but have more excavator to show for it. Check Iron Planet there are always lots of them going through. Although I would also go with the TB153FR.

7. mxridernorth

Thanks for the input. I'll steer clear of the CR versions then. I'd like a 153FR however they are about 1000 lbs too heavy for what I want.

I'm trying to remain light enough that I can carry the machine on a 14K flat deck for the places where I need to drop the machine in tight places or when the tandem is not required. I really don't want to change the whole trailer setup at this time just to carry a heavier machine.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

CCR's are the upgrade from the old versions, I would check out Takeuchi and Deere/Hitachi, I've been on a 305CCR since June and I like the cab space and climate controls positions, but the seat hurt my manly bum and it's just a lot slower in the hydraulics with almost a "tight" feeling in the pilot controls. Get used to a Cat, then take a Takeuchi/Hitachi for a spin and you will literally feel the difference, both in power and pilot feel.

Oh and I would spin that Takeuchi around the other way in the box, you are actually taking weight off the truck, the trailer hitch should be level with that weight, and the Takeuchi's are heavy on the bums.

9. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

I thought he'd have some tail waggin' problems at higher speeds when I saw it, but turning it around would put too much tongue weight, and loading the machine backwards is a pain/danger on a dumper (visually).

I've ridden dumpers down the hill on a job site years ago when I was loading a skid (ramps didn't find support on the ground)...picked up the back of the pickup (emergency brake on) enough to go for a wild ride. Truck ended up partially in the roadway. Not good.

BTW: nice find for the money!

10. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Great Find. Just what I have been looking for.