1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

practice bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CO.d 502nd, Jun 2, 2003.

1. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

did a practice trimming on my dad bushes ,we started trimming bushes big time today.

So i trimmed his over the weekend to get the touch back from last year.
    They aint quit were id call it a good job but what the heck my dad dont pay enough for me to worry about it lol.
    He pays me the princely sum of ZERO lol so he cant complain about the bad job to much lol.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Practice makes perfect. I sometimes do some new kind of work at home first to make sure that I am doing it correctly.
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good except you might want to clean up the beds with the leaves in them. ;)
  4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

And remember that you don't buzz many types of shrubs!
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

:confused: What's that mean? Selective pruning instead of trimming, like Azaleas, crapes,etc.?
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Geez, doesn't anyone trim bushes with hand pruners? Sorry to say this, but why don't folks just paint plywood boxes green and place them around outside the house.?

7. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

It's hard to get people to pay for the amount of man hours required.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Eric - that is the only way I do them. I just finished a large acct. (30-40 bushes), took 7 hrs. The owner looked at me like I was nuts. Told him I've been doing them this way for over 20 yrs. He was ecstatic with how his shrubs look. His neighbor was so impressed that I landed his acct. also. With practice, you'd be surprised how fast you can do them. Also better for the plants.

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

humm.. i must be going crazy here but i just bid on a job with 90 bushs I figured about 2 min per bush so i estimated 3-4 hours with me and a helper....
    I got a articulating pole trimmer for this year along with a handheld one from last season. Haven't used the pole trimmer yet but my think was all the bushs are low and i won't need to be moving a ladder around.:blob1:
  10. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Same here 99% of the time. Most of my customers aren't into the severely round, square, rectangular shapes. I think hand trimming gives a softer look to the job: the edges aren't so sharp; the plants look really good, but not like they've just been sheared. Plus, I carry a small file with me. I can sharpen as needed on the job.

Did a little over 6 hours on a job yesterday hand trimming before the rain came; total time for this job each season is about 10 hours. Got to try out my new Stihl PH80 with the razor blades: worked great. Homeowner's comment about the trimming was "it's just lovely." Kinda nice to hear.