Practice jobs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by promower, Feb 6, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be expanding and offering landscaping, not a lot this year but, more for the 2006 season. Anyways in the last few years I've read a lot about landscaping how to's, mostly pavers and retaining walls. I dont have much hands on expierence so I was thinking about doing a few habitat for humanity jobs this year to get my feet wet. I wont make any money on the jobs but they will be write offs and a good learning expierence. So, good idea or bad?

2. Who would pay for materials? If Hab for Humanity does it's an idea. You might also do work for family, friends or customers of other services.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can also do them at your shop or house and use them as an advertising expense.

4. LawnsByJon

LawnsByJon LawnSite Member

YardPro has a very good point.

Who wants to hire a landscaper who's home yard looks like crap?

5. YardPro

we use our shop and my yard as showcases. we have a koi pond, 3 stage waterfall, SRW ( segmented retaining wall) night lights, etc.

we invite clients over either at day or nighr, depending on what they are looking for.

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good idea but we rent and I dont have a shop. Were actually buying our duplex this fall so then I could practice but until then I dont have anywhere.

7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

yardpro....i'd love to see some pictures of your place...night and day. could you please post some on here or let me know if you want to send them to my email. thanks a lot

8. YardPro

don't have any digitals.
    i'll snap a few in the next few days and send them to ya..
    supposed to rain for a few days, but I'll get you some by mid week.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

E-mail manufacturers to see if any of their distributors are doing any hands on training seminars near you. This is very common and usually free. They want you to know how to do things, so that you will move some product for them. It is a good way to get started on the right foot.

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Hab for humanity is a good idea. You will likely get to know many new folks with different ideas and experience. Just check your pride at the door, and follow the program. Sometimes you learn alot through doing things for the good of others, personally and professionely. We do something similiar here. I get to work with people that have way more experience than me, and build friendships along the way. To me its way more fun to do it for free and make someone happy. It feeds the good inside of you. Of course you have to feed your mouth too. A little sacrifice for someone else will probably teach you more than just how to lay pavers. Just my thoughts...