1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Practice Runs!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by alpine692003, Jan 17, 2004.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just water, you got to drain it to transport it and it wont freeze in the winter if its empty

Mac

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

okay, i'll try that then
    just water

3. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

what equipment are you running? ITs brown b/c its still winter have your blades sharpened if you are worried but other then that the biggest thing is turning around in the grass 3point turns are best for our trainees how long is your season up there for grass down in Tn its about 8 months 32 cuts

4. alpine692003

same here.. We start around March - Oct-NOv.

3 point turns? How do you turn with the mower?

I am going north and reaching the end of the grass. DO I just pull a u turn and go down south again to cut the other grass?

5. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

Well you know how you stripe a yard just by going up and back and you always follow the lighter stripe(it changes so either way ya always follow the lighter stripe-sun-) we teach new trainees to first go around the yard twice (creating an outline) anyway so as you are approaching your turn your first point is a perpindicular turn from your stripe then simply back up #2 point ,then go forward into your next stripe(#3) this help s on the tire mark complaints

6. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Mowing pattern. Here is kinda how I mow.

I first cut an outline of the yard. Sometimes one time around sometimes 2 times around. After that I mow back and forth.
    Here is sorda like a diagram of how I do it.

Jason

Attached Files:

7. alpine692003

thank you for advice!@

8. yardsurfer

yardsurfer LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I always mowed doing an outline to help my friend who weedeated and wasn't very good at it. Especially in the thick high grass.. If I didn't do an outline he wouldn't get far enough out from the fence and in 90degree corners where I couldn't get he would leave stuff sticking up.. You would think after 5months he would figure it out.

9. alpine692003

Ya... So what these guys are saying is, make an outline

==============
    | insides |
    | insides |
    ===============

then mow the insides?

10. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Always make an outline. Either one time around or 2. Also make sure you weedeat first or you will hav uncut clippings on your nice cut grass.

Here is why you should do an outline cause you don't want this happening.