Pre-Calls Before Estimates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cahermit, Jul 17, 2006.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Does anyone call before going to an estimate, and if they don't answer, then don't go? I live in a different city than the one I work in, and it would be a B*tch to have to waste gas and time to go when there's not going to be anyone there. So what do you guys do?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I make a tentative time with the client. Say 5PM and tell them that since I am often at the mercy of the weather or other things, Iwill call by 4PM to confirm or adjust the time. They seem to like that and I am also able to make sure they remember without seeming like I don't trust them.

If I call and they don't answer, I leave a message explaining that if they can get back to me by xx time I can still make the appointment, otherwise we will have to reschedule.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I don't usually call before I go to an estimate. I do usually take care of all that before I hang-up from talking with the customer. This way, I can schedule a time that is convienent for both of us. I also prefer to do an estimate face to face as it allows questions to be answered and avoids confusion in prices, property lines, etc. JMO

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We normally don't go to the property to give estimates but it definitely would be better if they are NOT there! Just write up the estimate and put it on the door or send it in a email. We no longer want to talk and give people advise on their lawns for an hour when they aren't a cusomer, yet!
    Must be a tough area if you have to travel long distances for jobs?

5. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I live in a crappy low income city (60k pop), and 20 minutes away is a 'better' more robust city (120k pop). I travel to build my business in the area of good customers... for now.
    next,-> this crappy city
    then -> world domination

just like pinky and the brain, but with mowers.:laugh: