1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Em and warm temps in the South

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Jan 6, 2007.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Going by soil temps (55 degrees+) it is really past time for Pre-emergent in the Atlanta area. Don't have a lot of accounts, but got to hit them next week for sure. Rather than my normal choice of Barricade, it seems Dimension is better for the post control. Is this wishful thinking on my part?
    Does Dimension still work when you miss the window by a week or so?
  2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Yea deminsion is the only pre with some post control up to the first tiller.
    I have been thinking the same thing about the temps.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking about that this morning as I was mowing in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Henbit, clover, and some larger broadleafs are really popping up already.

I have to admit, I wish it would hit about 10 degrees for a couple days before the end of the month.:laugh:
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not be too concerned.

Even if the soil warms up enough to support crab germination for a few days, you can be almost certain that Winter will return soon. In fact, I see low temp forecasts going below freezing again a couple of days from now. Any crab that tries to germinate will be promptly killed by the cold. We had temps in the 70s in January for spells during the last couple of years and nothing resulted from it.

That said, I would expect to see a few more broadleafs than normal when you start doing preemergent in February. And if you don't have a good residual in the soil right now, Poa germination could certainly be an issue. Such is life when managing warm season turf in the South.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Been a warm winter

Today as I type this it is 83 out side and my Air conditioning is running. Here in Zone 10 Our Crab grass has not died from last year. Looks like there will be a lot of crab grass this year.
  6. lawnspecialties

I'm going to Myrtle Beach next weekend so it'll probably snow 10 inches next Saturday.:laugh:
  7. Take a close look at the rate on dimension label for POST control of crabgrass

Think of all the money that can be made in Ric area treating for crab and goose, bugs, must be a gold mine!
    3 today is almost getting to hot
    Maybe I should packup and move south...but that heat in the summer!
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Myrtle Beach is 30 min from me come on down the weather in the 70'S
  9. lawnspecialties

My own yard is common bermuda and this fall I decided to go ahead and do annual ryegrass. Today the family and I were heading out to do some shopping and as I drove off, I looked down the side of my house toward the backyard and could see at least a dozen dandelion seed heads! What's up with that?!:confused:
  10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I do read on the Dimension label post control for UP TO 4 weeks after germination. Just not sure how much faith I want to put in that.
    With crabgrass at a 55 degree soil germination point, are most broadleafs in the same temp range?