Pre-Em and warm temps in the South

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Jan 6, 2007.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

You could of had some seeds in your rye

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

The temp is supposed to be in the 30's tonight so this will keep the
    ground cold.

3. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

my yard is thick fescue. its january, what should i put on it now? i have a few clover spots and i know the frost will do its thing, maybe. but for the most part i want to spend money and spread something. already put lots of lime and gyspsum. and how in the heck do the old farmers have spring green fescue yards now, in jan? waht are they doing? mine is yellow and green. i almost wreck off the road turning my neck.
    thanks

4. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

put a quick release fertilizer on it & you should see a difference in a few days

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Ammonium Sulfate is what you need this time of year on the Fescue.

(Apparently this thread is in the process of being hijacked)

6. Back on subject...What is the rate to get 4 week post control on crabgrass? lbs of ai / acre...since their are more than one formulation of dimension!

crab will not germinate until the soil has remained 55 degees for more than 72 hours, and still needs moisture. When in gc business, I would apply pre emerge within several days of the soil reaching 72 degrees...always measured at sunrise, and at thr 3 INCH DEPTH

7. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

Im still tank mixing atrazine in fl with 75 degree weather during the day, you should be fine just make sure your rates are correct.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Matt

The old UHS, Now UAP have an Atrazine 4L with no heat limitations. I have spot treated in 90 degree weather and had no ill effects. I do apply it at lower than normal rates in that weather condition.

9. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

dont tell anyone but i also use atra sometimes in the heat of the fl weather, but like you said gotta know your mixture rates.

10. dheel

dheel LawnSite Member
    from NC

Turfunlimited,
    I'm in central Nc and put out ammonium sulfate on my fescue in early March. The grass looks the best it probably has looked, deep green and thick. I probably put between one and two pounds of nitrogen per 1000sqft. Even though I don't have a soil test do you have any recommendation to keep it looking this nice. Last year I put out triple 17 in early spring and fall and it didn't look as good as this year. Thanks for any info.