Pre-Em application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sjz60, Jan 25, 2003.

1. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am thinking of putting down a pre-em on my lawn, have never done it before.

What is the best time to apply? I have heard different opinions regarding how early to put it down, not sure if it varies by geographic area (south jersey here). From what I have read, it sounds like April is the time, however I want to be sure that I get it down early enough to do the best job possible..I had heard somewhere that getting it down in say Feb. or March is better.

Also, before I use a pre-em (probably will be Lesco), I want to be sure it will not harm my recently planted seed..I did core aeration and seeding in late August/Early Sept. of 2002..grass was actively growing by Oct/Nov (Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye Mixture of Lesco seed).

I have an irrigation system, and I am trying to get the lawn as weed free this year as possible, typically get dandilions and other weeds mixed in (spots) on the 'good' part of the lawn..and I am hoping the seed/aeration program will help choke out wees on the 'bad' section of lawn..

I follow the Lesco fertilization program and try not to skip any steps, but I have never used pre-em in the past, because I have had new seed down.

Any answers to these questions, or words of advice?

Thanks,

John

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Put pre-M down when soil temp hits 53 or so degrees. Ok to apply if grass seed has already germinated. Mow as tall as you can stand.

Mark

3. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

If you know the history of this paticular yard ex:always gets crabgrass. Then I get great control on a two app program of some type of pre-m like product. as for when go w/ the recommendation of 1grnlwn.