1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pre-emerg and compost tea??

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by tweezerbeak, Mar 16, 2008.

1. tweezerbeak

tweezerbeak LawnSite Member

if a pre-emergence [chemical] was used for crabgrass can a compost tea be applied or will the microbes be destroyed on the way into the soil????
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Go ahead & apply the tea. Put those critters to work.
  3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same concerns. Let's here from the masters?? I will be spraying but how much damage with the pre do??
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It will depend on the chemical used. I would like to point out that if you are using a pre-emergent, you should probably let the chemical do its thing before you apply any CT.
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Atrazine , weed and feed, is PURE poison to the earth and dangerous to kids, hire a labor and use a weed weasel.
    organic pgrs are not that un common in nature, rosemary,Spanish moss,CMG,most seed meals,some types of fungus,and a lack of water and sun are sure fire ways to keep the weeds gone. we have water Restrictions 1 day per week. try and get anything to sprout with one watering per week, it had better have a root system or it is a goner.
    the dollar weed cant ever get off first base.tall grass "4 inches " will shade out there ground space and a seed will usually not germinate until it gets some sun/heat.are we talking about a weed that has a meristem on top that gets whacked of as soon as it gets past the 4 inch mark. or a seed reproducer that never get to make a seed again because its head was whacked off.what is the target and the need to kill it off. some of my more tolerant customers have allowed us to plant clover in there "SOD" and now say its just gorgeous. in the 1940s grass seed came with clover added to the grass seed. why did we stop doing this ?
  6. treegal1

7. flgtr95

flgtr95 LawnSite Member

8. treegal1

Ok that's not the rite thing, try Cinnamon oil, or re think the killing part. maybe you should just make the lawn strong so it will out compete the crab grass and weeds.

cane's rule

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

with the turf in the north its not easy to thicken up some turf the crabgrass is comming
    however in my lawn where i go overboard i dont use crabgrass control anymore i dont have to so it can be done its just lots of work at the start.
  10. tweezerbeak

tweezerbeak LawnSite Member

will the microbes get past the chemicals????