Pre Emergant Application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lwopinc, Sep 8, 2011.

1. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

The only major differences in the two, other than RUP, is that Atrazine works better and is cheaper. Be careful with Atrazine on Zoysia and be careful with Simazine on some Hybrid Bermudas. Can cause very late green up.

2. lwopinc

lwopinc LawnSite Member
    from GA

Thanks so much guys... You all have been helpful. I think i'll go with the atrazine or stonewall.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

It has been awhile since I have used Atrizine but I thought the label said to only apply to dormant Bermuda. Like I said it has been awhile since I used it and it was always on StAugustine and I tried to be carefull around trees and shrubs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

what is the best time to apply atrizine 4L to tall fescue for crabgrass control.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

DO NOT spray Fescue turf with Atrazine or Simazine if you are not prepared to replace it.
    If you are looking for a pre-emerg to use for winter annuals in Fescue turf you will need to stick with the standards...pendimethalin, prodiamine or dithiopyr. If you have winter annuals already emerged then add a broadleaf post to the mix.

6. cecropia11

I am wanting something for crabgrass control in KY 31 tall fescue, pre emergent though.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

For crabgrass, you'll want something with longevity(season long control) You would not get this with either Simazine or Atrazine(60 days MAX) not to mention the fact that they are not labeled for Fescue and could very possibly damage or kill it. You need to use the products I listed in my last post. They are the active ingredients in several different brands of products offered. Prices for each vary.

8. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

A thick lawn of Fescue will only need the one of the chems that Ted listed. You can easily knock out any broads that might come up with a post chem

9. cecropia11

I was not talking broad-leaf weed, I was talking something pre control for crabgrass? before they come up in the early to mid summer?

10. cecropia11

just because atrizine 4L does not list fescue on the label do not necessarily mean that it will not work, and that it will not cause harm. there probably was just not enough demand to do test on it, as far as I know corn and grass have the same kind of root and cell structure most things that work on field corn will work on fescue. without any problem