Pre-emergant or seed first???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CELawnsolutions, Mar 13, 2007.

1. CELawnsolutions

CELawnsolutions LawnSite Member

I am still new to this... So cut me a little slack: ;)

I have a client who has few bare spots here and there. Now is the time we should be putting pre-emerg. down. But should I seed and maybe aerate 1st?

2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you put Pre-M out before you seed you will waist the homeowners money. Pre-M stops seeds from germinating including grass seeds.

I would hold off on the Pre-M if you want to fill in those hold in the lawn.

I'm no expert but I try to help when I can.

3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

ditto Any pre-emergent is going to ****** the germination of grass seeds. Go ahead and aerate, over-seed and wait 'til you get a good even stand of grass seedlings. Wait until the grass is 2 1/2 to 3" and then put down the pre-emergent. I don't know what your mean temp is now but crabgrass will start to jump once the ground is 60 degrees and higher.
    Good luck. Any seeding now coupled with pre-emergents is pretty tricky.

4. CELawnsolutions

well the spots aren't horrible. The ground temp has to be getting close to 50-60 now. It will way above normal temps over the next few days so now is the time to do the pre-emergents.
    Do you guys have a good product I can apply once the seed does come up so I can kill off the weeds.

Or do you think I should just go ahead and apply the pre-emergent and see if the spots fill themselves in?

5. CELawnsolutions

Oh by the way I use Lesco Products here.

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

You can use a product like Tupersan, which is a pre-emergent that allows for seeding, or you can spray Drive post-emergently to control crabgrass as it comes up. (Of course this is assuming you are properly licensed)

7. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

put down the pre-emergent first. if you're only going to spot seed put down 1/2 inch of top soil and then seed the spots.

Tupersan will lead to nothing but complaints. First you need to do two applications of it 30 days apart, so the customer is paying for two treatments and it doesnt work all that well either.

8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if these are perfect details but thought i would at least suggest them.

*Soil needs to reach a temp of 55 degrees for 5 consecutive days for crabgrass germination.

*Depending on what pre-emergent you use, if you seed before you apply, the grass must be mowed two to three times before application. Can be as many as four times denpending on chemical. dithiopyr of prodiamine. Always check label.

Tupersan(pre emergent) is possible but expensive. Compare it to a product like drive as a post emergent.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Won't the roots from the new seedlings be pruned by the pre-emergent when they get down into the existing soil? I'd stick with Drive if/when grassy weeds become an issue.

10. Crab germinates when soil temps is above 55 degrees at the 3 inch depth for a minimum of 72 hours, and you also need adequate soil moisture

Please explain the concept of grass being cut 2-3 times before application