1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-emerge advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pieperlc, Feb 25, 2008.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Been a long time user of Team herbicide and am looking to change. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for an active ingredient rate per acre on Dimension and Barricade. I am a long time user of Lebanon products as well, so I have plenty of products and fertilizer analysis to choose from. It seems that the higher active ingredients per bag are a little cheaper (Dimension .19 vs. Dimension .09 or .13). The label recommeded rates for Dimension for high cut north zone preemergence control are .13 active ingredient per acre. That seems a little low. I am from northern Illinois, typically we start our apps. in late April. We typically experience low crabgrass pressure and we do only single apps. Having never used either product, I am hoping some of you experienced guys can help me out on what rates have worked for you. Thanks for your help.
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

You should follow whats on the label. If is says .13 (I'm not sure what unit of measure you're referring to) on the label for your zone, thats what you should put it at. It may seem like less than what you were using, but you were using a completely different product.
  3. pieperlc

from Midwest

Thanks Lush, the .13 referred to pounds of active ingredient per acre(aia). The label says for pre-emergence north zone, low crabgrass pressure, high cut turf the rate is .13 lbs. aia. I can go all the way to .25 lbs. aia for pre- & post- emergence in the north. I was just looking for some guys with experience with the products to give me some ideas of the rate I would need. I don't want to put down more product than what I need, however I also want the product to work properly. By the way my zone is 4b/5a.
  4. pieperlc

from Midwest

Bump, anyone else?
  5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'd be better off with .25 # ai/A for Dimension. I talked with a representative from Dow a few years ago and he said many of the labels on the bags are recommending a lower rate than what is truely effective. Maybe he is trying to sell more product, who knows. 0.25 # ai/A is labeled on the bags for my area, but I use .4 total. A buddy of mine uses .55 and has ZERO crabgrass. If you check out Helena's website they recommend even MORE than that which I think is a little overkill.

Remember, to find ai/A, take the product Dimension 0.21% 18-0-10 for example spread at 4 #/K... 43.56 x .0021 x 4 = 0.366

I guess you'll really just have to experiment to find out what works well in your area.

p.s. I do split apps