1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pre emerge liquid or granular

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Jan 20, 2009.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

from my knowledge a liquid app would be more productive. But i have not run the figures to see what would more cost effective. Anyone know off hand?
  2. YardPro2008

YardPro2008 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Which product of liquid or Granular would you plan on using?

Which rate would you plan on going with as far as lb's of Active Ingrediant in the ground?

And what size product would you use on the granular. .86 .10 .13 .15 ETC?
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you do a search...this same topic has been discussed several times...probably even over the last month!

If you need help doing the search let me know!
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

In our market, TruGreen does alot of liquid Barricade apps. Seems to work well -- even along the curbs. One advantage of liquid pre vs dry pre is thorough coverage along the edges. my 2 cents worth
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It is much easier to get good coverage in tight areas and lawns surrounded by nontarget surfaces with a liquid. Especially if precision conventional equipment is used. Spreaders and granules are fast if where it lands is no problem. I also like the choice and ability to match the application to the individual site. If a lawn needs a high herbicide rate and low fertilizer, no big deal. Or if part of the lawn does not need preemergent at all.
  6. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

What about treating areas around curbs with liquid and the rest of the yard with the granular preemergent? To expensive?
  7. YardPro2008

YardPro2008 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Not too expensive...A lot of people do that, but Dimension doesn't stain yellow like Barricade, or pre m, or any other with that active ingredient!
  8. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I am gonna look into that.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is much more efficient to do it with one application. Not granules for the open areas, then having to go back or worse still trying to do everything all at once. It is ok to tank mix ferts, pre's and post's in a liquid but I do not agree with multitasking. You've only got two hands. For me, I have seen a difference in consistency of control with granules, that is why I do not even entertain them.