pre-emerge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have data to support longevity of liquid app.

Three months is about all the protection I've seen. We don't do split apps.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Hogjaw, I used Pre-M last year. I started in Feb and did not really see any breakthrough intil about late July-early August. Where I saw it was in the customers I sprayed first which is probably to be expected. Don't take this the wrong way...ok. But I noticed the other day you made the comment about not using the chemlawn gun. You were using a different gun that somehow eliminated the need for side to side motion of the arm. Just wondering...do you think that could be the source of your problem? I've used reduced rates in the past and always got better than 3 months. I am using Barricade this year and the faint yellow keeps making me second guess my rates. I've always been used to spraying orange juice! Anyway, the gun thing may be something to consider. Just a thought

3. Hogjaw

We putting out right at 2-1/4 g/k of mix. The tkss-20 tips are being used without the ball-check valve in order to get flow.

When looking across the lawn, the grass glistens in the sun light from the spray solution.

The lack of control is not on 100% of the apps, but probably 50%.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The only other 2 things I could think of would be correct rates on the product used and good agitation in the tank. Other than one of the 3 things mentioned being off, I can't think of any reason you would only get 3 months out of your liquid app of pre-emergent. Like I said before, I've never gotten that lousy of results, even at reduced rates. good luck

5. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

ted,
    ae you saying you have had problems with the chemlawn gun.

6. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've always had good control with granulars on pre-m and plan on starting my post emerge in june with liquid.

7. Hogjaw

Ted, by early summer we do see crab beginning to come through. Thanks for response.

Sometimes, I don't do a very good job of giving out good information, the 50% is incorrect.

Out of 180 lawns I re-sprayed 8 to 10 last spring and spotted 5.

The tip did a good job on post for crabgrass and broad leafs last summer.

We start off each season spraying concrete so we can see coverage (prior to spray season) and coverage is comparable to boom spraying.

We may try some barricade this spring for comparison.