pre emergence and overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by touhey33, Mar 22, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

When to tell customer to put down pre emergence, if I am overseeding on Thursday, How long before customer can put down his weed control?
  2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

your customer can put down his pre emergence but it will do no good taking care of crabgrass because it needs to be down when the ground temp hits between 45-50 degrees. This is when the crabgrass starts germinating. I think you have to wait around 4 - 6 weeks after seeding, you may want to check your label to see what it says, if you put pre m down after seeding to early it will kill the grass seed. :waving:
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The weed control can be applied within 7-10 days of seeding provided that the seed has germinated. Once this has happened, the Pre-M has no effect on the seed.
  4. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

It should tell you on the label (Pre-M)
  5. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

USE TUPERSAN, it will allow the grass seed to germinate, while suppressing the crabgrass.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would guess in about 6-8 weeks. I would want the new grass growing before before and PreM was put down, maybe even cut once. I would suggest skipping the PreM and using Acclaim to get crabgrass if it does come through.