Pre-Emergent Applications in landscape beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by patmorrissey72, Jan 5, 2007.

1. patmorrissey72

patmorrissey72 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone else out there had any tips or tricks for landscape beds. We service a lot of condos and commercial properties and would like to cut down on the labor costs involved in weeding. Right now we typically try to use snapshot during the spring during mulch installations. I dont know if we are doing this in the best way. Should the snapshot go under/above the mulch? Also, I know that the manufacturer reccomends that the product be watered in within a period of time. Sometimes this is not always very practical for us. I have been doing some research and found that gallery plus dimension in a liquid application also works well, anyone try this? Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I use snapshot during the spring before major weed growth. I then follow up with Roundup and Surflan, Pennant, or other pre-emergent in a tank mix during the season. You'll never 100% eliminate hand weeding, but this is the strategy that has been the most successful for me.

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i use gallery and barricade quite often for weed control in medians. I like it for the varietyof plants i can spray over the top. It works very well.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you are applying over mulch, you need to water before and after application. I don't know that there is anything better than Snapshot.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How about rubber mulch?

6. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Snapshot is a good product timing is everything.

7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Gallery/Barricade what do each one do in the mix. I know barricade is a
    preemergent but don't know much about gallery

9. Neal Wolbert

Regarding above link...click on the Horticultural Myths tab and look at the 2005 entries for the info.
    Neal

10. Neal Wolbert

Gallery for the broadleaves, Barricade for the grasses, both pre-emergence only.
    Neal