1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-emergent & extreme weather changes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by carcrz, Feb 21, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What are your opinions on when to put down pre-emergent? I'm in Kansas City, MO & we have extreme weather changes from day to day. It has been 70* one day & 0* w/ 8" of snow on the ground the next. They are calling for upper 50's this week, but will probably drop down again next week. I am just trying to decide when would be the best time to start. It seems like the last couple of years I have been a little late on my apps. Thanks for your help!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In bluegrass country--just before the first mowing works fine. Or...about the time dandelions bloom. April 15 for us. Probably earlier--about April 1st for you. Kansas City.
    Soil temp of 55 degrees is the critical trigger for germination of crabgrass seed. We figure this corresponds with the first air temp of about 80. Of course frost kills new crabgrass.
  3. magland

magland LawnSite Member

It is still too early to get the first app going. I know Chemlawn will start as soon as the snow is gone and temps warm up, but that doesn't make it right. Plus they have thousands of customers, so they have to get going early in order to get their first round completed. A lot probably depends on how many customers you have. The more you have, the earlier you have to start.

I'm in Nebraska, and we normally get going towards the end of March, and in full swing by the first week or two of April. I think the ideal time for the first app in NE would be April 15-Apr 30. But that's ideal, and I cannot get all the apps done in 2 or 3 weeks. Plus customers see Chemlawn fertilizing in early March and those yards start to green up, so everybody gets impatient. It doesn't help the lawn much by putting on pre-m in March, but the customer is happy. Sometimes it's a lose-lose situation. Either put the app on early or Chemlawn will do it for you.
  4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak to your specific area geographically, but I'll expand on what the other posters were saying. Figure out a date that you need to be DONE by and then figure how much work you have and back up from there. i.e., you need to be done by May 1st to have an effective app., and you have 45 days of work, back up 50-55 days to give yourself room for weather delays and added customers, and see where that puts you.