Pre-emergent for pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by D Felix, Mar 7, 2007.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Will XL or Snapshot stain pavers?

We've got a maintenance client who have a paver driveway installed when the house was built 7-8 years ago. Like many other things in/around the house, the pavers weren't installed correctly and the outer pavers have crept. Which opens up great places for weed seeds to blow in. Which means there's a lot of otherwise needless spraying of weeds on that part of the driveway.

Don't know why I hadn't thought about it before, but when we were there the other day I thought about spreading pre-e on the pavers to eliminate some of the spraying... Good idea?

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

i hear what your saying, and it does sound like a good idea. i'd probably just nail it with a good dose of round-up.

3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

try treflan. its granular and it will wash into the cracks and lasts for about 2-3 months. I don't think it will stain, but look into it to know for sure.

4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about pavers but this summer some treflan got on my seat (leather) I figure I could brush them off and not stain, wrong, I have tried everything and can't get that stain out. The treflan didn't even get wet to stain it, it stained it dry. Maybe try it on a left over paver from anotheir job.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Most ferts will stain pavers if left on them for an extended period. Roundup will be the best bet.

Chris

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ferts??? Nobody was talking about Fertilizers. They were discussing pre-emergent herbicides....which do not stain pavers.

7. JimLewis

Pre-emergents would probably work if the joints are large enough. But I wouldn't go that route.

To solve that problem I would just install a new layer of sand, mixed with the appropriate amount of polymeric joint stabilizer.

This is the one we use;
    http://66.129.116.81/alliedproducts/joint_sand.htm

With the joint stabilizer in there, the sand will totally harden up and the weeds will have no where to take root. It will also make your customers happier. They'll never have to worry about sand getting out of the joints again.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The pavers were installed with polymeric, so sand isn't getting out of the joints.

I don't want to have to spray the drive every time we are there (3-4 week intervals), which is why I want to use a pre-e.

Though it hasn't been discussed, I'd rather tear out the drive and totally re-do it than spread new polymeric sand. There's a chance we'll re-do it in a few more years anyway. They've already spent over $100k for us to re-do what was screwed up when the house was built. :rolleyes: :hammerhead:

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim - Sorry I used the wrong terminology! If you were to put dimension or barricade or whatever on pavers and leave it to dissolve you will absolutely get staining. I've seen it on jobs we have done where we also maintain the property. The guy desn't blow off the walkway well enough and waallaa! yellowish/whiteish stains almost looking like efflourescence.

Chris

10. JimLewis

Chris, ok. Well, you may be right. I have trouble imagining that Cassaron or the like would stain. But maybe some of the pre-emergents that have color in them like Snapshot could....I guess. If you've seen that happen, I'll trust your word. I just haven't ever seen that happen.

D Felix, Well..so the paver joints are just falling apart then? That sucks. Someone must have done a really poor job of installing them. I guess if that's the case, I'd probably apply Cassaron 4G FINE, brush it into all the joints to prevent any possible staining, and then water it down several times so it dissolved. Then you wouldn't have any weeds, I am sure.