Pre-emergent for Texas Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TXbulldog, Aug 2, 2006.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

When is the best time to apply a pre-emergent to Texas bermuda grass and what granular product works well?

2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming you are licensed. Decide what your target is, and what product are you gonna use; pre-m's have different lengths of effective control. They all work well, but they all have drawbacks, and cost considerations.

Your county extension service is a great place to start to get the basics for timing and targets. Then research here. Then call your suppliers to evaluate cost considerations.

Gonna try to control poa annua this winter? Gotta get something down pretty soon - Labor day is considered the guideline around here near Austin. Winter broadleaf weeds? Get it down a few weeks before your average 1st frost date. Crab grass . . . now? Is it starting to burst out? (if so, use dimension), or for next season (wait til March)?

That being said, I use Barricade. 1/2 rate soon, and 1/2 rate in December. Controls all year that way. . . for me . . . here . . . for the tif 419 I treat . . .

3. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

That being said, I use Barricade. 1/2 rate soon, and 1/2 rate in December. Controls all year that way. . . for me . . . here . . . for the tif 419 I treat . . .[/QUOTE]

quiet,

Do you do your first app in mar. and then again in dec? Is the half rate half of 2.3# per acre? We have been using p-meth doing 3 apps per year, and still have crabgrass problems, broadleaf control is good, but crabgrass is hardest to control.

Thanks