Pre-emergent herbicide

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by vencops, Feb 14, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My thread title is really a question.

What's the process and timeline (using today as the starting point) to remove clover and crabgrass from an existing lawn. What about seeding?

No PH test has been done. Nothing added to lawn since a light dusting of lime a couple years ago.

2. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

is the crabgrass present right now? if not just put down an application of crabgrass control with either dimension or barricade... if the crabgrass is present best i've seen is acclaim.

For clover, confront active ingredient triclopyr and colyoplyr.

3. vencops

from NC

If you were gonna do these three things.....is this the order you would use?

1. Core Aerification
    2. Lime application
    3. Weed & Feed

Thanks.

4. tombo82685

yea that looks right, assuming you did a soil analysis and need lime. The weed and feed is the crabgrass preventor correct?

5. vencops

from NC

That would be correct.

Thank you.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The term "Weed and Feed" is generally used on Post Emergent fertilizers and would do nothing for Crabgrass. I'm not sure about your temp time frame in NC, but you would need to put down some type of "Pre Emergent" down before the soil temp is a steady 55-60 degrees for Crabgrass control. If this is a lawn that needs seeding then the pre m would prohibit that but it is better to do seeding in the Fall.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Confront (triclopyr and clopyralid) on residential turf is illegal.

8. tombo82685

ahh ok, thanks. I know its alright for golf course use, didn't know it was illegal for lawns. Not really familiar that much with the lawn aspect of chemicals which is why im on here. Is trimec illegal also? That would be my second choice for clover.

9. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

Yes make your sure you dont seed and then put down crabgrass pre-emerg of vise versa

10. vencops

from NC

Thanks. I don't have plans to seed, until fall.