Pre-emergent in the fall/Winterizer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oOTurfmanoO, Nov 5, 2006.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

I often hear about blanket apps (liquid or granular) for weeds in the late fall to provide good control of undesireables in the spring.

What are your thoughts on this?

Would you make a dimension app. at this times providing the N-P-K ratio is what you are after?

Why/Why Not?
  2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

In my zone -- an I would guess true for PA too -- there is no need for preemergents in winter and Dimension does not have the residual to last long enough the next seasong.

HOWEVER, prodiamine does have enough residual and this is how I do my reemergents. My winterizer application includes prodiamine and gives me season long control of crabgrass. I like it becuase I can buy a cheap high notrogen carrier for the prodiamine and then go with a higher quality slow release fertilizer only in the Spring -- also I do not have to worry about timing as much for my customers.

Works perfectly!
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a great plan you have there. I would consider doing that here, but it is strictly a business issue. My concern would be the cost for the prodiamine, and then that particular customer does not continue service the following year.
  4. LonniesLawns

from KS

Well -- I am a smaller company and have VERY LITTLE TURNOVER!

If I get a new customer in the Spring and need to add preemergent I explain to the cutomr tht will be an added charge to cover extra application.

Plus -- overall cost of my progrm went down since using prodiamine ona na all mineral high nitrogen fertilizer is cheaper than the low nitrogen slow release dimension I used to use.
  5. yea, but the prodiamine with quick fert could be applied late winter, like ~ 6 weeks before normall crab germination, that way almost all nitrogen, except for a little slow release has released before you get any rapid spring growth, and you are really feeding the roots this way, similiar to what some people try to do with late fall feeding

curious, what rate are you applying in fall? what % ai of product concept has been done here for over 10yrs, mainly on gc, and we also got some help preventing some poa from germinating
  6. LonniesLawns

from KS

I shoot for 1.00# AI -- maximum amount -- but guruantees that protection last through entire season.

20-4-10 - 5% scu. SOP
  7. your area..what is the timing of this relationship to last mowing or how long after last average date for the first hard freeze?

how much n will this deliver?
  8. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Making a fall application of amine weed control is a fantastic method of cleaning up most of the perennial weeds that are established in the lawn. Liquid would work much better. Once the temps are steadily below 50 it is time to switch to a ester formulation. Will work much better in the cold. Your wasting your money by applying a pre emergence in the all unless you are trying to control some poa annua. If your applying a fertilizer this late in the season it should be 46-0-0 Urea. Slow release fert will encourage snow mold activity.
  9. LonniesLawns

from KS

Ranger - you are confused as to what prodiamine is. That is the chemical name for Barricade preemergent herbicide.
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Prodiamine in spring 1# /acre does it for us.only had to do 3 post em crabgrass apps this year.two new lawns we didnt seed and one old customer who had his irrigation repaired after several years of not running it .He drowned his poor yard .The only thing I have ever had to target around here in the fall is poa on compacted areas .I noticed poa ,chickweed henbit started popping up about the end of Sept.aound here.So if We're to target it with a wdg ,ec or wg . I would have to target the area shortly after the dog days of summer let up .Has anybody had any luck using diemension liqud as post control for crabgrass ? I realize tiller stage is important.does it work as a for late crabgrass apps. some people call in at the last minute .