Pre-Emergent Info

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MountaineerMowingService, Mar 7, 2008.

1. MountaineerMowingService

MountaineerMowingService LawnSite Member

I don't do many fertilizer apps, mostly do to lack of experience, however I try to help some of my better customers out with whatever they need.

I have a POA that has asked me to put a pre-emergent with weed control on the grass as well as some type of pre-emergent weed control on their mulch beds as well. Any reccomendations as to a generally effective common brand or type? Thanks ahead of time.
  2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

get ready for the questions...#1.Do you have insurance
    #2.Do you know what you are doing?
    #3.IF you have to ask you shouldnt be doing it
    #4..are you sure you have insurance?
    #5. dont low ball this job
    #6. You should let Big w do this job i heard he just got certified and he has insurance.
    #7. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT BIG W ATE TODAY? :laugh::laugh:
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

You forgot the most important one. If the world turned backwards for 24 hrs would it be yesterday or today?
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Mountaineer: I'm just over round the lake in Kingsport. Do this:
    Measure the property to get you number of square feet. Divide by 1000 so you can get the number of 1000sq. ft. Most fertilizer with pre-emergent will call for a number of pound of product per 1000 sq. ft. You are probably dealing with fescue mix. Go to a Lesco or John Deere Landscaping. You may have to come over to Johnson City to get what you need. Boone may have something but I haven't been over there for years. Anyway, start with a Dimension with fertilizer. Here is a good one:
    Everything will depend on what is available in nutrient. but the 18-0-15 fertilizer will be sorta in the ball park for our ground. Apply it according to recommended lbs/square foot. You will need a good reliable spreader that will spread an even pattern and do not overlap too much or you will get streaks. Dimension is a great product and will work for about 3-4 monts depending on how much you put down. There is nothing that will last the whole season and you will need more fertilizer about every 8 weeks or so and other specific applications. For those mulch beds, the best product for use is "Snapshot" also available at Lesco.
    Good luck up there. That Pre-emergent plus fertilizer should be put down NOW before the weed seed germinate (Whole New Ball Game) You are dealing with another type of fertilization than just some crap from Wal-mart. Don't even go there or get me started on that stuff such as Scott's or the like--you are wasting money and gas. There is nothing out there with "what you need" to do a good job. And last, this fertilizer is not cheap and knowledge is worth a lot so CHARGE ACCORDINGLY Round 1 (If not too big) should be in the ball park of $250 assuming you have a spreader. Mulch beds would be extra. Snapshot + labor X 2 if you do the Round 1