Pre-emergent..... is it time in the south?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tbettis, Jan 8, 2008.

1. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

was wondering was it time to start pre-emergent in the south. i live in ga..any insight
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ground Temperature is the big factor for germination. A simple thermometer can be purchased at the supermarket. In zone 10 we wait until late February, so you are still to early.
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Think about the germination factor of the weeds then back up about two weeks. Most soil temps need to be 55 degrees and above to do your pre-em. Ric is right on late February is about right unless a blast hits us.
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

If you only have a handful of lawns to do, Ric is absolutely correct. We see crabgrass around the first of April here. I'm a little further North so I would say you see it a little sooner there. Middle of March? Not sure.
  5. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

FEBRUARY - JUST wait................
  6. Jimmie

Jimmie LawnSite Member

We put are first Pre-emergent this month then again in thi middle of march.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Split rates of Pre-M or Barricade?
  8. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

thanks guys.. ive already ordered a pretty good suppy as to where i have about 25 lawns to take care of..thanks.. reason why i asked is because it has become unseasonal warm in my area
  9. Jimmie

Jimmie LawnSite Member

Most people here use Pre-M Aquacap split rates along with Threeway are Momentum FX
    works great.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Around here crabgrass germinates at about 290 Growing Degree Days, (base 50).

However some experts say optimum date for treatment is 250 to 500 GDD, base 32. I will be at the Michigan Turf Conference in Grand Rapids tomorow. Great Lakes Trade Exposition. I will try to get a clarification.

Do you have access to a GDD TRacker in your area?