Pre-Emergent Products for Beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mx315, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been getting quotes from companies to do my spraying at a couple of my bigger properties. Prices are close on turf apps but they all have different pre-M treatments for the beds. One company recommends Snapshot, one recommends a Gallery/Barricade treatment and the other says he has really good results with RegalStar G. Anyone have any input for how effective these products are? Cost does vary but I would rather pay a little higher price for the product that's going to last longer and have less weeds.

2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

I Have Used Snapshot And It Works Great.

3. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

I have heard of snapshot? Its a granular substance right? How do you apply it and how much?

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Snapshot does work great! (Snapshot has Gallery in it) Gallery + Barricade is almost identical to snapshot. Gallery for broadleaf weeds, Barricade for grassy weeds.

5. mx315

Yeah, Snapshot is granular and is applied with a small shaker style spreader... which I would think would take a long time and the labor would be higher too.
    Good to know Liberty... Snapshot is $112 for 50lbs and covers @12K square feet. I have double checked some of their prices at supply houses, but I haven't checked it for Gallery/Barricade. Anyone know Gallery & Barricade prices off the top of their head? RegalStar G is @$50 per 50lb bag for 12K sq/feet.

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Gallery & Treflan is what Snapshot is comprised of. In my opinion Barricade has a longer residual than Treflan for grassy weeds. You can spray a Gallery/Barricade combo for same effect. I think that is easier than the "shaker can" especially whan you don't want to walk in beds... Barricade as well as Dimension are off patent, so you should be able to find some considerable saving buying generic forms. Hope that helps.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the spreader that lesco recommends for snapshot. I forget what its called. You don't shake it, but turn it upside down and it flows out by gravity. It takes a very small amount of product with snapshot, and you can spread it in this manner as fast as you can walk.

8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Just based on my costs, looks like Snapshot G and Regalstar are about 2x more per 1Ksqft than mixing the two and applying as a liquid. Either one of those materials should do a very good job on weeds.

9. mx315

I looked at the gravity spreader that Lesco sells and it's really small... one of these properties has about 22K sq/ft of beds. That's really the main reason I don't want to use the granular, I would have to reload that spreader too much.
    With the liquid... can it be applied to the top of pine straw and be effective? I would think the granular would fall through the straw and make it's way down to the soil, but I'm not sure about the straw.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member