1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Emergent Ques?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gsxr1100, Sep 18, 2006.

1. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Hi - Which one of these is better for crabgrass & POA. I am thinking Prograss but wanted some input.

1. Prograss 1.5 RC
    2. Dimension 1 EC
    3. Pre-M 3.3
    4. Stonewall (aka Barricade)
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I like prodiamine (Barricade, etc) because it has the longest residual for crab which means you can apply it in the fall and still prevent the poa. The others are fine for spring applications but will not be effective on poa.
  3. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

From what I understand Pre-em and Dimenson are very effective in preventing poa also
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

pendulm sucks (ok, maybe that is to harsh, but it's cheap), though if you split the apps in 2, then you can get ok control. i use dimension and it works great, and i do use it in 2 apps, and get awsom control. never tried barricade, i hear (from post on this site) it works the best. the weather is going to be the what determans the control, we have got alot of rain the last 2 years and control has been hard, i will say that dimension had some crabgrass break through, but NO fox tail! that means alot to me, because it is SO obvious in a lawn.
  5. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

What is a good price for Prograss 1.5EC? Anywhere online cheap(er).
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Prograss will be the most expensive purchase of the ones you listed. The other three preemergents will control both crabgrass and poa.

Depending on your vendor, the cheapest will be either Barricade or Pendimethalin. Barricade is really the best choice of those two, because it is less harsh on the turf root system.
  7. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, guys, remember your zones. Barricade is great for fall apps, but not here in the North where the ground freezes and destroys the preemergent barrier. So in Massachussetts, your best bet is Prograss, although it's expensive. If you're looking for something cheaper, go with Dimension at it's highest rate, but bear in mind that it probably won't knock all of it out. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 seasons to completely knock it out that way. Of course, you're going to have to follow up your fall app of Prograss with another Spring app, so check your labels for more info.
  8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

ok, thanks. I have Pre-m 3.3 (Pend) now; I just asked since Prograss seems to be the one that kicks it out. Lesco has it but it is WAY down in CT (1 left). Prograss is cheaper by $8 (vs Dimension) for 2.5 gallons, go figure.
  9. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco can UPS it to you. They might pass on the shipping charge (5 or 10 bucks?) but you don't have to go down to CT to get it.
  10. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

I think I might do that. I just cannot believe it is less then Dimension. Blows my mine....then again they want $125.XX for Drive when I get it for $90 per lb.

Might have to try some chelated iron too.