Pre emergent Question for Experienced

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember reading that some of you will use 1-2 gallons for each 1K sq st .
    If you have a rock landscape where the rock maybe 2-3 inches deep , do you still apply a prem using 1-2 gallons of water per 1K sq ft .
    If so , the prem just lays on top of rock , does not get down to where the weeds grow from , even rain or watering may not get it down far enough to do the best good .

Guess I am asking , when you treat rock landscapes , how much water per 1K sq ft when applying prem , like Pendulum ???

Thanks for participating in this thread .
  2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you refering to pre-emergent bed weed control or turf in boney soil?
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of gravel mulched areas where I am at too. I use 2 gallons per M and my prefered preemergent is a tankmix of Ronstar + Gallery. Most of the weeds invading gravel are broadleaves. I have a hose set up before starting the sprayer, so as soon as I am done it gets watered in. My prefered time to spray is before 10AM or after 4PM, so the heat and sun do not dry the chemicals on the gravel. I never leave any applications that must be watered in to nature or the client. Too much to go wrong: runoff, too long before it is watered, not enough water. When a preemergent is "set" by watering it in slowly and evenly without rounoff, it does not move to nontarget areas, it also works as intended. If I am ultimately responsible for both the benefits and adverse effects of the application, I will take the time to water in.
  4. ArizPestWeed

what I am getting at is this......

Will it get watered in through 2-3 inches of rock-gravel and reach the soil ??
  5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

new guy to spraying here- not trying to high-jack, but what is the difference in broadleaf pre-m and crabgrass pre-m? Are there any that work on both, or are they very specific? Can you give some examples of each kind (names of chems)? Thanks
  6. ArizPestWeed

7. greendoctor

Do it the way I do it, and it probably will.
  8. greendoctor

Pendimethalin and other dinitroaniline herbicides are stronger on grassy weeds. Ronstar and Gallery are excellent on broadleaves. Knowing that, I once sprayed a gravel mulched area with a tank mix of Surflan, Ronstar and Gallery. There was heavy weed pressure from the subsoil and the surrounding areas. Could'nt do my total vegetation control tank mixes because of the trees and shrubs in the area. I had no weed growth for 6 months, which is above average for Hawaii.
  9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

It's common around here to have a rock area between the house an planter beds. I treat them along with the beds and no special treatment and control doesn't seem to be any different. The rock is a little shallower, 1"-2" mostly and I'm using 1-2gal/K.
  10. ArizPestWeed

what you takes hours , i don't have that kinda time ..

besides , i do not believe the prem will make it through the layers of rock and reach the soil where the seeds germinate from.
    the rocks will adsorb the prem .

Okay ,??

Anyone agree of disagree ??