1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pre-emergent question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by daferg, Oct 17, 2003.

1. daferg

daferg LawnSite Member

we have never used pre-emergent on any of our commercial accounts so I need to learn more about them. What exactly do they do and how are they spread (granules or spray)? What brands do you recommend and when (time of the year) do you apply them to turf/ beds? thanks

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a pesticide liscense?
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Preemergent to turf grass is completely different vs. preemergent to landscape beds for this climate. Require more information as to what noxious weeds you wish to control, plant material treated, and irrigated or not.
  4. daferg

daferg LawnSite Member

Primarily turf, irrigated, both Bermuda and St Augustine. Any info would be great
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If he did, he wouldn't be asking this question. ;)
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rostar is the only pre-emergent that doesn't cause chemical pruning. Yep it is not cheap.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Daferg,

Here is a great article to read.

Why? How? When? Where? & What?

Pre-emergent herbicides represent an easier and more economical approach to weed control versus post-emergent approaches. Controlling weeds before they appear eliminates the negative aesthetic of dead grass and weeds treated later in the year. "
  8. ronstar NOT LABELED for residitial turf
  9. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

That's an understatement! I've seen university studies saying how great Ronstar is, but I can't imagine a situation where I would want to pay 3 to 4 times the price of Dimension for something that would be only very marginally better.
  10. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

Were are you at? Chattanooga has a good lesco. the staff is young but they can help with setting up programs for your lawns.They also seem to have some of the best products in your area.Hope you get it all figured out.