pre emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FlatLander, Nov 20, 2003.

1. FlatLander

FlatLander LawnSite Member
    from PA

I overseeded my lawn late ocrober. gras is starting to come up.
    can i put down a pre emergent or should i wait until a few weeks into spring?

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

FlatLander, Purdue has done studies to show that a winter application of pre-emergent does have effets that produce results. I woould read MSDS to see if if warns against applying to newly seeded lawns.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i would wait the pre-m will keep any seed that has not come up from sprouting wait a few more weeks

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

FlatLander,
    If chickweed has been a problem in the past then it would be a good idea to put down a Pre now. If not then wait until late april 2004

Pete D.

5. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait. Grass that has not germinated, will not with an app. Ive always waited until the 3-4th cut to think of applying anything with weed control.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Most all pre-ems are root inhibitors. To apply a root inhibitor to any new lawn will defeat the purpose of trying to grow new grass. I will not apply anything but siduron to a new seeding until it is at least 1-½ years old.

Siduron is marketed under a few labels, often labeled as Tupersan; it can actually be applied to a spring seeding to control crabgrass, foxtail and other grassy weeds. Drawback is that it is up to 4X the cost of other pre-ems and must be reapplied after 30 days to maintain efficacy.