1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pre emergents liquid vs granular

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drobin, Dec 3, 2009.

1. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

I was talking to an experiened applicator who was saying that he gets way better results spraying pre emergents than granular. has this been anyone elses experience?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dave,
    Some people like liquid, (but the yellow types can stain). Dimension, as a liquid, can be costly and smelly. I prefer granular. Equipment to apply is low in cost and application speed is a little faster. You don't have to worry about the spray hose freezing during your first week in spring.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Liquid provides instant protection, granular is not effective till it is watered in.

I've been getting WAY better results since I switched to spraying.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Everything i have ever been taught as far as weed control apps go is that ...When applied correctly, you will get a much more even application with a liquid app vs. a dry/granular app. This goes for post emergent apps as well as pre-emergent apps. I have gone back and forth with a couple of folks on here over this exact subject. I will not debate it again. I have been doing this 20 yrs and have had numerous reputable Turfgrass "experts' with all kinds of studies,data,etc.. to back them up tell me this in training/recertification classes I have attended. I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. Cost, at least in this area has been a factor in this decision also. I have used dry pre's in the past to "experiment" with good results( and still do occasionally) but my experience has been limited. With the amount of weed pressure I have here, I have not been willing to "bet the farm" on the use of dry pre's. I am presently looking into applying liquid pre's through ride on equipment only to make myself more efficient than applying with a hose & gun. JMO

5. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I agree with Ted.

I use liquid Dimension 2EW and the new formula has a much lower odor. A little goes a long way @.75oz/1000sq ft. It is expensive about 160.00 a half gallon.

6. lawnrx

lawnrx LawnSite Member
    from ga

I'm going to try to go to granular (again) this year. did it in the past with poor results. I think its because my rate was not high enough. Did liquid apps every year and always had great results. you can apply more in the areas where you know you had problems last year easily. And the cost is so cheap i don't mind giving my lawns a little more attention. But now for this next year, i need to keep moving (riding) to keep up. I'm hoping 2010 gives me great results.

7. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I still use both Pre-M 3.3 and Dim2EW..Both have pros / cons. But 160 per half gall seems high..Retail I assume.

I still think Dim EC did not smell at all compared to Pred.

8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, If you're doing split apps, then it is a mute point.

Granular is easier by far, and when applied correctly, is just as good as liquid. Most problems occur when under applied, or areas are missed. Turf along a street curb is the most problematic, only because of trying to keep it out of the street. The deflector does help. On sidewalks and driveways, I leave the deflector up. When done, I blow off all hard surfaces. Never had a problem with CG along the edges.

The problems I had this year was from all the rain. I did more post control this year than ever before.

Jack

9. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Dave,

Especially if your properties have considerable amounts of shade, spraying Dimension 2EW or Pendulum Aquacap on the hot spots makes a lot more sense than a blanket application of the entire property with a granular preemergent. Look up the label for Dimension 2EW on Google and you'll see that it's also significantly cheaper to apply (if memory serves me right, expect to pay something around 600 bucks for a 2.5 gal jug?).

Since you don't operate in Westchester County, you don't need to worry about the Neighbor-Notification Law that pertains to spray apps, so that's a big plus (unless your county has a similar law, but I don't think that's the case).

10. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

that sounds like good advice shane, my granular results were not good at all but we did have a lot of rain- thanks