1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Question is do you oil the pre-filter? It's on my 20HP Kolher. I know on my Toro 21" WB the pre-filter is oiled. NAPA dealer said he didn't think it needed to be oiled. What do you all do, oil it or leave it dry? If you do oil it what do you use? Thanks for your advice.
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we spray it down it wd40
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

All of my prefilters are oiled except the Briggs 8 on the leaf blower (which is a paper type filter)

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I dip them in oil then squeeze them to get the exess off. I have found that oiling them traps alot of junk that would have gotten in the engine!
  5. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Mowman, for your 20hp Kolher you always need to oil the foam filter, without it you might as well not even put it on! Just take some 10w-30 oil pour a couple of table spoons full
    into your hands and rub it all over the prefilter, then take a rag and pat off the excess and install.

Good Luck!
  6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

from what I have seen all pre filters with the exception
    of some of the briggs that take the paper filter are to be oiled,thats why napa should stay selling car parts not ope parts ,oil then squeeze it out,thats what collects the dirt
  7. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I got'em all beat. Get you a zip lock sandwich bag and put the filter in, pour some oil in, seal it up and wring it with your hands. Take it out and install. No mess. Just don't put your sandwich in the bag afterwards.