Pre-filters for Donaldson Air Filters

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by michigan mulcher, Nov 25, 2006.

1. michigan mulcher

michigan mulcher LawnSite Member

This fall I ran over the leaves with my tt60 mulcher and chipped them up and then with my other tt60, I picked up the leaves with my accelerater bagger. The problem is this is very dusty and after only 1 week my Donaldson Cannister air filter plugged up and my mower would not run under load. I replaced the air filter and new plugs which were all carboned up. This did not solve the problem so today my mower is in the shop getting the carburator cleaned.

I do a lot of mulching and I have some large sandy lots I mow. In the summer, these jobs can be very dusty and I am lucky to get 2 weeks on an air filter. At $16 a pop, this can get expensive. I long for the days when I used an oiled foam filter that I replaced daily on the non cannister type air filters.

My question is this? Does anybody use a bag or pre-filter over their cannister air filter? If so, where did you get it? I hear that an outfit in Schoolcraft, MI is testing a prefilter that is made out of microfiber sock that will fit over any style of air filter. It is washable, and does not need to be oiled to capture dirt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I run a oiled foam prefilter over the cartridge in my donaldson. It is made of two Briggs and stratton prefilters stacked end to end.

3. michigan mulcher

michigan mulcher LawnSite Member

Problem solved! Thanks, Lucforce.

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, at the point of entry u will either have a rain cap fitted or a spinning type pre cleaner. The spinning type of precleaner will remove 95%. Debris is ejected by the the spinning impellor. Look up engine aire on the web .
    tomo.
    Ps caution when u use a foam liner over paper ,the oil if u applied to generously will block the paper pleats .Some makers actually use a dry foam precleaner also 4 this very reason .

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Yes, those inlets stop DEBRIS from making its way to the filter. However, they do not stop dust. Conversely, these air filter systems deliver a low-pressure area to the inlet-which will of course pull MORE dust in. In all but the most pristine areas, you can clog a Donaldson paper filter in a day. Wrapping the filter with an oiled foam filter provides you with a method to use the paper filter indefinitely. Simply wash the foam in warm soapy water, dry, re-oil, and reinstall.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Please bring some extra oiled up pre filters. I have clogged them up in 20 Minutes doing leaves.