pre-formed pond help please

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Earthscapes, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I have never installed a pre-formed pond before and have to do one this friday. It's just a small one about 150 gallons. Is there anything special i need to know ? someone said that i need to add bricks or pavers under it for support ??

I know what your all thinking "don't do it"...i went that route and tried to sell him a liner pond,, but he got it from his wife as a x-mas present and will not return it. I also added on a few extra $100's to the price and he still called me to do it.

Thanks guys

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I just installed a preformed pong and Definently no bricks should go underneath for support. I suggest a base layer of sand underneath and around the sides. Make sure that you clear all rocks and other obtrusions in the hole out. Watch out for water run off from drain pipes if any in the area because they can run right down to a pond and undermine and make a hell of a mess. Thats about it.

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Bricks will settle under the weight & possibly puncture the form with time. Use sand, it's able to shift & will fill in the gaps.
    I'm no expert in ponds but thats what I hear.

4. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Trace the shape onto the ground and then dig it about 6" wider. Same goes for any shelves in the pond. Make sure the base is flat and firm before placing it in. Then back-fill with sand and make sure it fills all gaps.

5. fshelton

fshelton LawnSite Member

Like Henry said... make the hole about 6" wider than the pond. You may want to fill up the pond about 1/4 the way before you start to back fill, just to keep it from moving. Also, make sure you have plenty of sand around the top of the pond to prevent small rocks from falling down the side if you plan to add some later.