pre-m and overseeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bif, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

I saw that Scotts makes a starter fertilizer plus a crabgrass preventer (pre-m I assume) all in one bag. They say it starts seedlings plus helps prevent crabgrass... I didn't think there were any selective pre-m chemicals???

I would like to use it when I overseed in the spring, but won't it keep the grass seed from germinating??

thanks for any help,

Steve

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Tupersan is a preemergent crabgrass control that will not interfere with desirable seed germination (i am not familiar with the scotts product you speak of but assume it is tupersan)

Tupersan does not have longevity, i'd suggest using it aprox every 30 days...so you may need to apply it two or three times

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I looked at Scott's website and they do offer a Fert./crab-control product for newly seeded cool-season lawns with Tupersan (Siduron). While I guess it would be ok for someone that misses the fall seeding window to put down in the spring with seed. To me it would make more sense to seed at the proper time (now) and put down a pre-emergent with a broader spectrum of control and much longer residual of control in the early spring.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Good call, I agree :)

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

If the lawn didn't have large crab-grass infestations the year before, and no neighboring lawns around with crab-grass, then you should be ok to not apply a pre-emergent.

Then just hit any crabgrass with Acclaim as it pops up.

6. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the help guys...

Steve

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty late for seeding up north. In a spring seeding, you're better off to get the siduron by itself, and apply at beginning of crabgrass emergence window. Since you are only getting 30 days out of it, might as well maximize the application. I find usually one app, when timed like that, will be sufficient to stop most of the crabgrass - a spot treatment with Acclaim later in summer does the trick on later germinating ones.

And using other pre-ems in spring, immediately after a fall seeding, is usually not a good idea. Most all pre-ems caution only to use on established, WELL ROOTED turf. Since all pre-ems, except siduron, are root inhibitors, applying pre-em to a new lawn will also inhibit root growth of desireable grass species. Even though the garss may have germinated 6 months ago, it is still in it's first life cycle, and trying to establish itself. A pre-em app will prevent any new root growth from crown.

I use siduron on anything seeded last fall. Also use it on a stressed turf, where we are trying to get better rooting for overall health. Have found that roots don't really get going good until second year after last pre-em app.