pre-m definition of..

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Doogiegh, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Quick Question:

I know from reading on here that many of you applying "Pre-m" or pre-emerge pesticide for lawn contol.

My question is does "pre-m" kill EVERYTHING that it touches or does it only kill a great number of weeds, *OR* does it only kill grass and weeds, but will leave larger bushes ok?

For example, what does Round-up Pro do as a "Pre-m"?

I have a bed of evergreen trees that drop alot of pine needles on the ground. Leaving the pine needles on the ground under the tree is fine. The problem is during May-November, these stupid weeds grow and man, do they have these razor sharp needle like hairs on the sides of them.. To pull them out is absolute torture, even WITH gloves that say "Thorn-resistant".. And if I weed-wack'em, that just spreads them around and they grow thicker and thicker..

Thanks for any quick insight and definitions...

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Sounds like Canadian Thistle. I use Round Up around trees, just be careful not to get any on the tree itself, or on anything else growing in the area that you want. Otherwise I would identify the weed 1st, then find the appropriate herbicide. If you are licensed there are several products to consider.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The same question arises and I am not being a ball buster but are you certified to apply herbicides and pesticides in your state.

Round up is a POST- emergent that works after the target (notice the word-target-as it kills just about anything that it touches)
    It is an excellent product when applied consistent with the directions.

The reason I ask about this is that you can get in trouble by using this stuff, not only with the State but on the property you are working. Overapplication will most likely leach downward as well as laterally and you will have nothing to mow for a great radius around what will become a sick if not dying tree.

Round-up Pro is around 40% glyphosate, Round up pro dry is about 71%. Each has different application requirements.

Pre-emergents are used for certain types of weeds and grasses but once again you can get into trouble if you just go and spray without knowing what you are targeting.

If in fact you have thistles growing there are a few options that you can consider as a non-certified LCO.
    Practice IPM and dig these out at the growpoint. Yep the old shovel does wonders and is a pretty safe way of dealing with these types of weeds. I am aware that these things have underground runners and will regrow but your field of choice is limited at this time.
    Talk to the homeowner and completely educate them on why you are unable to spray this product and ask if they will apply a homeowner version of Round-up that they get at Home depot. This puts the liability on them should something so wrong. Of course it won't as you will thoroughly educate them.
    Finally, take the winter to get certified. Educate yourself, know what you are doing and know where to go to find out what to use and how to use it. You can then make money doing this legally, which is the reason we are in business.

Sorry for the long post but the big rule here is just like that of a doctor and I like to live by it - Do no harm.

That means to the earth or to yourself. Good Luck.

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Pre-m, means pre emergant before grothw begins, for instancve to avoid a outbreak of crabgrass in june you would pre apply these products (pendimethilin, team, pendulum, barricade, dimension etc.), in some cases depeding on the product a second application may be needed this depends on weather and soil conditions. i personally use pendimethalin 2x's a year and i get great results on crabgrass, spurge, oxalis.

round-up is a nonselective herbicide, by non selective this means it will kill anything in its path, selective herbicide will have it's target whether it's dandys,clover,etc, in most cases these are post emergant(after the weed has grown), if your killin dandys in a plush green lawn then your gonna nedd a selective herbicide, if your gonna install a new lawn and want to wipe out everything and start fresh then non selective is the way to go. T, hope i helped a little

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Both of the latest replies have helped out tremendously on the clarification..

I can now see why to have a nice, weed-free lawn, everyone wants to first put pre-m so that the weeds don't even have a chance to sprout... and then as has been said on here, people spot-treat if anything does happen to pop up.. Makes alot of sense, much appreciated...

In my case, from the bed that I am treating here at my house, I would need a selective treatment just to get the stickley weeds, but not what is around it. (nice evergreen shrubs.). Thanks!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa! If it's a bed(s) you're treating, that's sort of a whole different ballgame. First, in the springtime, before anything starts to grow, go out and hit it with some Snapshot. What that is, is a PreM product, but is commony used in beds and such. Works great! This will save you aLOT of work down the road for weeding out your beds. As long as you're not planting anything in your beds from seeds. You can plant flowers (out of flats) or anything else that is aleady established, but you just can't go from seeds. There is another product you can purchase, much like this from Home Depot, or your local nursery store. That is called Preen. Same thing, just not as effective. (Atleast I don't think so). I hope this helps.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

there is Pre-M , the pre-emergent herbicide. There seems to be words be interchanged that are causing confusion.

Pre-M is a brand name grassy weed herbicide frequently impregnated on fertilizer and used on turf for primarily annual grassy weed control.

A pre-emeregent herbicide is frequently shortened to pre-merge or pre-m.

I like Dimension as a pre-m for turf and Snapshot for beds.

8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I thought Pre-M meant those people who run around and work before everyone else wakes up!;)