1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-M + Fall Seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Apr 11, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

How do you deal w/fescue fall reseeding and Pre-M?
    Never saw the Poa Annua so bad down here in Georgia. Want to limit it next spring but have customers who need reseeding of fescue lawns too.......
    What's the pre or post-em solution?
  2. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Fescue re-seeding and Pre-M don't mix. BTW, I'm in Dallas appr 40min N of you. The poa annua will die off as soon as the heat gets here. I know this doesn't help but I had a yard full of green bermuda on March 31st of last year and mine is still almost completely dormant. Spot treating w/MSMA will have to suffice but that won't work until we have some consistent warmer days which should be just around the corner.

-Pete w/Highland Landscaping
  3. spray guy

spray guy LawnSite Member

here in fort worth texas I start putting my fescue seed down in mid - late sept thru mid october. I fertilize about every 45 days thru mid march. In early march I tank mix with the fertilizer pendimethalin in my sunny areas that are vulnerable to crabgrass.
    The shady areas I dont put down any pre emergent, just fertilzer.
    I never have a poa annua problem. If you dont get a thick stand of fescue I can see poa being a potential problem. The key is you need to keep fertilizing and mowing regularly to thicken plant so there is no sunlight getting to the soil.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You just have to deal with poa annua culturally.

As you continue to overseed the fescue each fall, you will eventually develop a stand dense enough to prevent most of the poa annua from being noticed at all.

At least the poa annua is the same general color as fescue. When you get it in bermuda its a real mess.